Behind the Glass | Teen Ink

Behind the Glass

By blackmiracle SILVER, Vogosca, Other
blackmiracle SILVER, Vogosca, Other

When I look out my window into the meadows dripping with dew, and the rain tinkling on the glass, I know that it will be another day. It has rained on my wedding day, but I don’t care. Nothing could ruin such a perfect day. Not rain, not shine, not dusty dried old roses that are all I have as a bouquet. Though I am not sure, I believe they were pink to begin with. The raindrops look like little diamonds that fall from the sky, faster and faster. I look at my reflection in the glass, which is all I am really looking at.

My dress in made up of lace, and the puff sleeves remind me of Anne of Green Gables and her blue puff sleeved dress. My hair is done in curls, tresses, that surround my face. Shaping my eyes are black lines that I have done myself. My brown eyes reflect each other in the glass. I have always had beautiful eye lashes. Or so people have told me. My lipstick is a dusty rose pink and so is my eyeshadow. Other then pink, I love black which is the color of my hair. Two rings adorn my fingers, one is a black jewel surrounded in silver ruffles, and the other is a silver rose. My necklace is a gentle black string that curls around my neck ending with a silver and black jeweled orb that is hollow in the center. Clara taps me on the shoulder and I am ready. There he is. The man of my dreams. Standing there before me, in black jeans and a white dress shirt. Where is his tux?

“Where is your tux?” I ask. “Alex, didn’t I ask you to wear a tux?”

His face does not change, but straitens up taller and speaks in a stern tone. His voice is not how I remembered it. Perhaps it has changed.

“Riley. My name isn’t Alex. It’s Jerry. I’m here to pick you up to take you back to your room. It’s time for a nap.”

“No.” I say staying away from them. “Alex, aren’t we getting married today?”

I glance around me and suddenly I am not where I am supposed to be. White walls and Clara is in such bright clothes that it hurts my eyes. Why am I here? I should be home and where is my daddy?

“Where is dad?” I ask in a confused voice.

Clara shakes her head and takes a firm hold on my arm.

“Honey,” she says. “Your wedding’s tomorrow, you just got the days confused, dear.”

She says it as if I know nothing.

But she knows best.

I look back at the window, staring at the rain that is falling more slowly now. Merely drips.

It has rained on my wedding day, but I don’t care. Nothing could ruin such a perfect day. Not rain, not shine, not dusty dried old roses that are all I have as a bouquet. Though I am not sure, I believe they were pink to begin with. The raindrops look like little diamonds that fall from the sky, faster and faster. I look at my reflection in the glass, which is all I am really looking at. My dress in made up of lace, and the puff sleeves remind me of Anne of Green Gables and her blue puff sleeved dress.

I turn around, and there he is. The man of my dreams. Who will mary me today.

“Come on Riley,” he smiles. “Its time for the wedding.”

I smile back and take his arm. He leads me slowly down a hall and into a room. I have seen it before. Where?

He sits me on the bed and takes my bouquet to place on the bedside table.

“Good night Riley.” He says before closing the door.

It is my wedding day.

This was based on a picture I have in my file that seemed so sad and had no story behind it, so I wrote one.