Black Roses This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I have always loathed people who pity themselves. I tell them that if they are in a horrible situation, it is because in some way or another you put yourself there and Lord knows the only one who’s willing to help you up is yourself. If you feel like lying there with fat crocodile tears rolling down your face because you’re not even willing to try, your fault. Not mine. If you would ask any of my friends, they would tell you even at my funeral I will tolerate no crying. None. Nada. Get the picture?
No, when I die, I want people to be happy. Not happy because I'm dead and gone, but happy because they want to be. I hate “funeral homes” because they have that horrible music, and I freely admit that yes, their décor does make me want to cry. And then there’s the person in the ugly tan or beige casket, all dressed up like their going to… well like their going to a funeral. I want to be buried in a brand new absolutely perfect dress; the one I would have worn to high school prom. The dress every girl dreams of wearing when she comes down the stairs and all noise dies, when the boy of her dreams comes and sweeps her away into a gilded silver pumpkin with four white lizards with hooves pulling it in front. Yeah, bury me in satin… And lay me down on a bed of roses- As I lay, silent and cold, I will be surrounded by the tangible scent of love and warmth, sending me away to whatever comes next.
Sink me in the river, at dawn, so for an eternity I can watch the sun rising and falling, bathing me in colors painted by the greatest artist of them all. Send me away with the words of a love song, because even though I never knew true love, I loved and was loved by a lot of people. Maybe I never got the chance to grow up as a Princess to my Prince Charming, but it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.
No longer will people be allowed to say “A penny for your thoughts”; I’ll sell them for a dollar-They’ll be worth so much more after I’m a goner. It has always bemused me how only when you’re dead, do people start listening. When I lay down for the last time, when I rise up and meet that wonderful, amazing, painter of the sky, I’ll be wearing white when I come into his kingdom, and I’ll ask if I can be turned into a rainbow. My mother will know I'm singing when she stands under me and I shine down with my colors.
Sink me in the river, at dawn, send me away with the words of a love song. Make me into a rainbow, listen, and hear the words I’ve been singing. If I can be surrounded by roses and love, warmth and laughter, then as I sink down,
down,

down,
A smile will be on my pale, cold face. And as the silver satin turns dark and green, as my hair is tangled by fish and weeds, and as my body joins the river in ever-lasting motion, a single rose will rise. It will pull out of my lifeless hand and drift to my surface, blackened with age but in full bloom, and I’ll look down on it from where my soul rests- and bless forever the black rose.

meowers5 said...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 11:36 am
Wow wow wow! Great piece!!

Kat/Kaya N. said...
Whoa, you have an amazing style. Somewhat poetic. Keep it up~ and yes, I bolded this so I'd "stand out" :D

singergurl12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
lol thanks, Kat!

Kat/Kaya N. replied...
Mhm, anytime! I have a lot yet to read though... ^-^"

*not quite sure whether to be afraid or pleased*

Kat/Kaya N. replied...
Hmm... nothing to be afraid of if the rest of it's good like this, or even better... you can only improve as you go on (:

this one actually kinda sux compared to some of the others lol so thanks ;)

mskullgirl said...
Sept. 27, 2010 at 6:30 am
I love this! Great job!

Sept. 27, 2010 at 8:51 am
thanks! i appreciate it!

Whylime said...
very nice!!! but now you got the song in my head agian! aggervating!! haha "if i die young" is my fav song! country stuff, Whoop Whoop!!

IKR?!?!?!? used to be my fave, but now its "dont laugh at me" mark wills- aka my story tuning out the world. thanks!

Whylime replied...
haha ill stand for anything vaguely country! hahahaha yeahb but it was gooodddd...! (: hey would you mind reading my "does he know" (oh and sorry if it gets confusing about whose talking cuz alot of ppl have told me that was a problem) im trying to get alot traffic going through it.. just to see if someone catches an error someone else didnt.

Whylime replied...
oh and also i like "if your going through h.ell" now. its rele good but i dont know who sings ittt... very inspirational in a cheeky way (:

daaaannng.... okay ur starting to SERIOUSLY creep me out- we seriously must be like twins seperated at birth or SOMETHING?!?!? i LOVE that song!

Whylime replied...
Sept. 26, 2010 at 7:59 am
hahaha that IS wierd! youre like the first person to ever tell me they like country!

Sept. 26, 2010 at 9:59 am
haha same! how old r u? (no im not a stalker- just curious.)

Salenafire said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 11:25 am

I really liked this! Althought I think the first few lines of the first paragraph didn't quite fit with the rest of the story. At first I thought this might be about some girl getting mad at someone who feeling sorry about her life, but then it wasn't.

The first few times you used the lyrics (I love that song, btw! ;D) it sounded good and really flowed into the story. It was like the MC was agreeing with the song and it fit well. But the other times...not so muc... (more »)

ummm... MC...    ?

ANYWAY- im glad SOMEONE knows the song- the only reason i thought i could get away with using it that strongly is that almost NO ONE listens to country *cough losers cough* anymore... its one of my faves to though- and thanks for the advice!

Salenafire replied...
MC stands for main character. Its funny I got this reply and I'm listening to it right now! XD lol

i heard it about 10 minutes ago lol

thanks! (i feel very blonde-at-heart right now...)