Mel's Story, Part IV

I looked into her small sticky eyes for the first time, felt her tight, tiny hand around just my ring finger, and my heart exploded. The bits of my heart floated up my chest and then out of my eyes, heavy tears of happiness convincing me that she was all I'd ever need.
Her skin was a painful reddish purple but I could already see her tan and smiling into the sun, a wealth of brown curls falling down the back of her cotton sundress as we plant tomatoes and cucumbers and bell peppers. She'd smile into the sky, absolutely joyful just to be living, to be. I'll teach her all about how the seeds grow and why we have to wait for them to be ready to eat. I'll tell her lots of fairy-tales instead of the specifics. Like how when a Borrower takes something of yours you have to write an itty bitty note asking for it back, otherwise they'll be insulted if you use human sized paper.
I'll tell her all of the vegetables are just shy when they're seeds. That she'll have to sing to them and tell them all of her deepest, gooiest secrets and dreams. Only then will their little ears reach up, up, up out of the ground to hear her songs even better.
That's what I'll tell her.

J1029This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18, 2012 at 9:39 am:
So good keep writing :)

Bassoonkelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:22 am:
haha I just read all of your comments in succession, thank you SO much! I'm really glad you can feel what I've put into the story, and can connect with it on such a personal level. :) Hopefully soon I'll have more to add!

awesomeaugust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm:

I think I'm in love with this story...

I don't know what else to say

Bassoonkelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:22 am :

abigail_e said...
Jan. 20, 2011 at 11:35 am:
I'm in love with your writing! You are sooo talented! You should submit what you have under the 'novel' category on here. Please keep writing!

Icy96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is excellent, wonderful job. You should find a publisher, you've got real talent.