A Slice of Time

Clink! Clink! I groaned. Clink! Annoyed, I stirred, still in that half-way stage between dreamland and reality. Clink! Clunk! Clink! I drearily opened my eyes, and peered through the noise, trying to figure out what it was doing in my room. It seemed to be coming from the window. I glanced over at Chanelle, but she was still sound asleep. Reluctant to leave the comfort of my warm bed, I waited a few seconds, hoping the noise would go away.

Clink! Clink! Now I was annoyed. I swung my feet off the side of the bed and headed for the window. I crouched sort of awkwardly under the sill. Eventually I mustered up enough courage to stick my head up and yell “HEY! What the hell, some people are trying to-”, until a quick whizzing sound made me duck down. Of course, in my hurry to get down, I banged my head on the window sill, and fell over pathetically. The pebble that flew in over my head ricocheted off of the mirror, and landed on Chanelle’s bed. Then everything was quiet. I slowly rose into a crouched position, and ducked underneath the window. Again, I glanced over at Chanelle’s bed, but she still hadn’t stirred. I rose until only my eyes were above the sill, wary of any more flying objects. Then someone half whispered, half shouted, “Oh my gosh, Carly, I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” I rose enough to look out and groan. I didn’t really even have to look. Of course it was him. There Troy stood, in his stupid jeans and stupid jacket, gazing at my window. “Carly?” “Ya, I’m fine,” I muttered. “No more rocks, though.” “No more rocks.” And then there was silence, in all its awkward glory. “So,” he said, “Are you coming.” “Where?” “You’ll see” I rolled my eyes. “C’mon, it’s not far, I promise.” I groaned. “Can’t this wait until tomorrow, when the normal human being is awake?” “Please?” He said, so cutely. I couldn’t resist. “Oh alright, but this better be good.” “It is,” he said. “I promise.”