Such a Pretty Girl | Teen Ink

Such a Pretty Girl

July 25, 2010
By sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
30 articles 0 photos 332 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous


She sits in a room that is drowning in perfume and powder. She stares at a face that is hardly recognizable under the black, pink, and beige paint that covers the discolorations on her jaw, the worry clawing at the skin under her eyes, and the premature wrinkles that dance around her thinning lips.

Her body is still thin though, after all these years. Her shoulders jut out in all the right places, and her stomach doesn’t move when she walks. But for this she compromises with herself, just like she always has.

She watches the woman in the mirror put a cigarette to her mouth and blow smoke that hides her face for a long second. But even though it’s just a second, she forgets, dreams and half-expects to see her younger, happier self come back into focus. But the light assembles her reflection in the glass to the fading beauty she has become, and the tiny hope inside her dwindles to nothing more than air in her stomach, blowing out slowly with each wheezing breath she lets out.

Habit tingles in her fingers, wanting to stretch towards the half-empty bottle of scotch on the edge of her vanity, but she doesn’t take it for the first time in… well, who knows how long. She wants to be sober when she dies. She wants her last feelings, emotions, and pains to be the strongest. She doesn’t want to glaze over anything.

The woman glances at the gun in her hand. The skin on her fingers can taste the metal, the toxic bitterness of the trigger. The bullets shake on the inside. Her mind rattles and waits in fear.

She looks at herself again in the mirror and falls into a memory… perhaps her first clear recollection of life.

Her body shrinks. Her cigarette-damaged hair turns into thick ringlets that collect on top of her head like a mop and fall and bounce like coils from a bed. She loses the breasts, the eyeliner and wrinkles. She is four. She stands in a leotard and tights on the side of the stage and taps her foot. Girls just like her- her friends- stand and wait anxiously too. They have hair-sprayed curls, painfully bright lipstick, and sloppy blush on their cheeks. They laugh and giggle at the novelty of makeup… the stuff of grownup ladies.

But she doesn’t. She stands in the middle of it all, and when it’s time to perform, she smiles and does as stunning of a dance performance as any four-year old could.

When the recital is all over, she is handed flowers with petals that fall off like skin and twirl through the air like true ballerinas and land gracefully on her nose. Big people- the ones who always give you lipstick kisses and pinch your cheeks- tell her she’s the prettiest girl out of the whole bunch. How she has the best smile of them all.

She’s just so pretty.

Oh, Parents, you must be so proud, so fascinated to have such a pretty little girl.

Ears love that word for some reason. They cling to it and eat it and then vomit it back up so they can chew it again, even if it’s acidic, even if it’s disgusting. The little girl loves this word, and when she gets home, she will open up her mouth and try it on her tongue for size. It sounds even better in her voice.

She changes though. And when she’s ten, her body will begin to transform. Her chest become softer, her waist begins to curl in at the middle and the flare back out just above her hips like a wave, and by the time she’s twelve, she notices men look at her differently. They’ve stopped smiling like they have candy in their mouths. Now they smile like they want candy in their mouths. Their eyes run down and then pop back up, only to go back down again a few minutes later.

But it won’t be until she’s thirteen that she will discover the reason for this.

He is her father’s visitor. A good business partner, as Father always describes him. Soon their business relationship becomes a friendship and the man comes to their house more and more regularly. His name is Mr. Cummings, but she soon will come to call him George.

“You know, you’re such a pretty girl,” he breathes into her ear one night in the kitchen. She is washing dishes after an elaborate dinner Mr. Cummings has been invited to. They are alone, and the knowledge paints the cream colored walls the most daring of reds. “So pretty.”

There it is. That word again.

Her sigh trembles in the air. “Thank you, Mr. Cummings. But I—“

She will never finish that sentence. His lips taste quite wonderful when laid upon hers. They taste like the pecan pie they had for dessert and bubble gum and peppermint. His skin smells like cologne, and his breath is warm when it blends with hers.

He will come back. He will say that toxic word again. He will take her to a quieter place. They will do things that must remain between them and no one else. And she is convinced he loves her.

Until one day, her George moves with his wife and kids to a place far away from her. No call. No warning. Nothing.

Without him, his beautiful words and wandering hands, her appearance looks plainer. Her eyes don’t have that sparkle, her lips aren’t as full and pink, and her cheeks are a sickly pallor.

That’s when the lip gloss, blush, and mascara find an almost permanent residence on her face.

Later, in high school, boys will come and go. They will say the word again and sometimes use even more elaborate vocabulary. They will call her “beautiful”, “gorgeous”, or “to-die-for”. They are like passwords, and she lets each one go through her like a punch in the gut, a steady impact that brought only pain.
Each pain is presented to her in different ways.

Some will hit her, be rough with her, call her ugly names. But it all doesn’t matter if the word is still there on the tips of their tongues. If they still think she is pretty, she can handle anything.

That’s when the foundation and eyeliner nestle into her pores also.

When she isn’t in school, she discovers some men will even pay her crinkled, green paper to be able to call her pretty, to hold her in the dark, and mess with her beauty. They will strip her dignity with their rough, selfish hands and leave in the morning with a piece of her they will throw away at the next gas station, or forget about in the glove compartment of their car. But she will always see their faces, hear their voices and see their mouths form her favorite and most hated word: “Pretty.”

But now she is here, and she can’t find herself. She is lost somewhere in the dead bodies of men she has gone through. She sits on top of a mountain of emotionless faces, just shells of humans that she has discarded as she goes along. Her face is caked in their deteriorating, exterior love, their lustful, unabashed glances, and their fingers that take her body and mangle it into nothing more than a jumbled heap of weary flesh that breathes with a heavy strain.

She licks her lips and crushes her cigarette in the ashtray, lifting the murderous metal ever-so-slowly to her temple.

She really was such a pretty girl.
But that pretty face is strewn across the carpet now.
And her rich, red blood is staining the mirror.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 40 comments.


on Aug. 29 2010 at 11:27 pm
darkangel09 GOLD, South Huntington, New York
13 articles 0 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."-Voltaire

wow. as i read this i was thinking about how true and sad this really is. how just one event can change anything and you showed that in this. how one sick man can change a girls whole life. i love how you discribe going into a memory the way you do, how she had changed over the years.

i dont know how you do it, but again amazing work


Whylime said...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 6:12 pm
Whylime, Brentwood, Tennessee
0 articles 0 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grief is the price we pay for love -- Queen Elizabeth ll
Don't go there, I'll only follow -- ???
Why is a raven like a writing desk? -- The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
Chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum I hate the most -- Willy W.

Oh my. Well. I will start by saying that this a very good article. I love the phrase, "...shells of humans..." because it so well portrays that she has lessened her view of herself and others as only bodies. I love the poetry of this piece. I didn't feel it was cheesy/overdone whatsoever. I will tell you though I only scanned the third to last paragraph (the one that starts "But now she is here,"...) because it seemed like a "poor me" paragraph that didn't seem nessasary but then I went back and read it thouroghly and really liked it and caught the "shell of human" bit which I really liked. 5/5 for strong emotions. Ah, dramtic irony gets me every time.

--J7X Team

*** Spread the happiness! (:


on Aug. 21 2010 at 12:44 pm
sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina
15 articles 0 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

this is very descriptive and well written, i loved it. It was from a very unique perspective and so ironic, which I love. You're really good at saying a lot in a few words! The only thing you might want to work on is diction/word choice.

on Aug. 20 2010 at 11:34 pm
BooBooBunny BRONZE, Burnesville, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A man's a success if he wakes up and goes to bed-and in between does what he wants to do."- Bob Dylan

You should be proud of yourself, this is great. You're descriptions are amazing.

on Aug. 20 2010 at 12:39 pm
ForeverFelix PLATINUM, Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
30 articles 2 photos 207 comments

Favorite Quote:
Daydreams can be worse than nightmares, but that never stops me.

This is written really well and the descriptions are amazing, it painted such a picture in my mind. Great work and keep writing!

630R63 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 19 2010 at 6:32 pm
630R63 BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments
pretty much amazing

on Aug. 19 2010 at 5:37 am
AoifeTracey SILVER, Dublin, Other
6 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
'Dont bend facts to suit theories, rather theories to suit facts.' Unknown

You're decriptive writting and easy conveying images are truly something to awe at. I admire the beautiful dark twist the is tangled in the story, and the heartbreaking irony. You should really use you're talents on a larger scale, and I am looking forward to reading more of you're work.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 2:38 pm
Paty_Padilla BRONZE, Bloomington, California
2 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you're desperate, that's when you got no choice."
-Donnie Brasco

Evidently, you must already acknowledge the richness in your piece, I acknowledge it as well, your writing is truly something to marvel at.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 12:43 am
ArtemisOwlfeather SILVER, South Pasadena, California
5 articles 1 photo 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am evil. I am evil. I am evil. I do not bounce. I am evil."

Oh my gosh! This is incredible. I love your imagery. To me it has sort of a... dark, twisted circus feel? I dunno, but this is great.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 8:49 pm
have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.

This story was absolutely undescribable. The emotions were so real and incredible. 5 stars, definitely. This is such a perfect piece of writing.

on Aug. 16 2010 at 5:33 pm
SecretNonConformist SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 195 comments

Favorite Quote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of
evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Bless the children, give them triumph, now!"
Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers

Oh. My. God. Thats all I can say about this. You are an amazing writer and you covered more than one very serious topic. You completely pulled them off, as well, making this girl and her life sound so hauntingly real. Keep writing!

on Aug. 16 2010 at 3:28 am
Stormythrone BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
4 articles 19 photos 73 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing is good or bad. Its thinking that makes it so. -Benjamin Franklin

wow. That was just haunting and possible (in a good way). You really capture the feel of it in the peice and her backround. I loved it. Keep writing!

on Aug. 14 2010 at 5:37 pm
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland
13 articles 0 photos 531 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

This was very... well normally I'd say 'beautiful' but that word doesn't really appeal to me right now.  It was wonderful- yes that sounds right.  I loved how you added makeup to her as she progressivley lost parts of herself.  The one thing I expect that wasn't there, was I sort of thought that at the end you would describe how when she died, the makeup came off- and there was nothing left underneath.  I think it would have been a good relation to the beginning of the story.

(PS- Could you look at my new piece, A Secret no More? Thanks!)


on Aug. 14 2010 at 3:14 pm
MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts
52 articles 0 photos 280 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I realize that life is risks. It's acknowledging the past but looking forward. It's taking chances that we will make mistakes but believeing we all deserve to be forgiven."
-The Dead Tossed Waves.

lol. you are welcome. and thanks

on Aug. 13 2010 at 3:56 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Oh goodness, that was amazing.  So deep, dark, and emotional.  Very well-written and descriptive.  The ending was so sad, but perfect.

 

And sorry this took so long, I was really busy.


on Aug. 13 2010 at 8:21 am
sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
30 articles 0 photos 332 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate them!!! I'll be sure to check out some more of your work soon!

on Aug. 13 2010 at 12:27 am
MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts
52 articles 0 photos 280 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I realize that life is risks. It's acknowledging the past but looking forward. It's taking chances that we will make mistakes but believeing we all deserve to be forgiven."
-The Dead Tossed Waves.

This is......incredible. Like, really really REALLY incredible. It truly shows off the talent and intelligence that you pocess. The story, the rawness, the hated truthfullnes behind it..because of the story it tells, that some of us lead..its heartbreaking, its magical, its..the truth. I am sooo thankful to have come across this peice. It MOST DEFFINITELY should have been published. Your use of vocabulary really portrayed excellent writing skills as well. The entire story was quite beautiful. You have such talent, again, and the story is by far one of the truest and realistic pieces i have read. Most deff a 5 stars and favorite. I congradulate you on such a great peice.

Babylufin GOLD said...
on Aug. 12 2010 at 10:34 am
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri
13 articles 2 photos 229 comments

Favorite Quote:
"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you Lord, for this future you've given me.

It's no problem. :) Thanks for your story! This really was excellent.

 


on Aug. 11 2010 at 8:37 pm
sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
30 articles 0 photos 332 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

Thank you so much for your comments. I would be glad to read some of yours. 

Babylufin GOLD said...
on Aug. 11 2010 at 5:52 pm
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri
13 articles 2 photos 229 comments

Favorite Quote:
"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you Lord, for this future you've given me.

Wow...deep. Thoughtful. Emotional. Truthful. Insane. Real. Real. Real.

I believed every word of this. It was written so beautifully, so honestly, so real.

I love this.

Filled with talent, you are. :) Thank you for sharing!

Please take a look at some of my work if you have any time!. I'd really appreciate it...

:)