A Single Man | Teen Ink

A Single Man

By Ghnami BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Ghnami BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

A single room with a single door. A single chair and a single table. A single light above the single table shining a single circle of light on the single table. A single rock is on the single table. A single man opens the single door and sits down in the single chair.
“Hello.”
The single man speaks.
“Good morning to you too. How are you this fine day?”
He stares at the single rock, as if trying to move it with his brain.
“That’s excellent. I’m fine as well. What would you like to do today?”
He picks up the single rock and examines it.
“Hmmm. Maybe not. I don’t feel like going out today. What about something inside?”
He lightly tosses it in the air.
“Ooh. Good idea. I love that movie.”
He sets it back down.
“Oh wait. Our player is being repaired right now. No movie today.”
He slides it back and forth between his hands, as if he were playing hockey with it.
“What if we just conversed today. I’d like that.”
He sets it at the far edge of the table.
“What topic should we start with?”
Stillness.
“Politics?”
Stillness.
“Why not? Never mind. I’ll think of something else. Hmmm. What about cars?”
He moves the single rock a little closer.
“Yes I did hear about those. So extremely efficient. Too bad the batteries are so expensive.”
He puts it in the middle of the table.
“Did you hear they are making one that goes over 100 miles per hour? Truly amazing.”
The day passes to the next.

A single room with a single door. A single chair and a single table. A single light above the single table shining a single circle of light on the single table. A single rock is on the single table. A single man opens the single door and enters.
“Good morning! I do believe I slept especially well tonight. How about you?”
He sits down with the last question.
“Why yes. Yesterday was nice. Shall we do the same thing again?”
He picks it up.
“Why not? Do you have any other ideas?”
He puts his hand flat and positions it in the center of the palm.
“I still feel like staying inside today. DId you know we are supposed to be getting snow in a few days?”
He sets it down close to him.
“Oh I agree. Then we can go out and build forts and have snowball fights and everything! It will be so much fun.”
He picks it up and tosses it once, then catches it and sets it back down.
“Where should we go first for the snow? The park, or the mountain?”
Stillness.
“Good decision. And the mountain will have more snow than the park.”
The day passes to the next.

A single room with a single door. A single chair and a single table. A single light above the single table shining a single circle of light on the single table. A single rock is on the single table. A single man opens the single door and plops down in the single chair.
He grumbles.
He picks up the single rock, lays on the table, and sets the single rock on his chest.
“Comfort me.”
Silence.
The day passes to the next.

“SNOW!”
He picks up the single rock and brings it with him outside.
“Let’s hurry!”
Outside is still. No person is in sight except the single man with his single rock. They both go out and run in the white perfection of silence.
Hours pass.
The mountain is white.
“Hehe.”
The single man giggles.
A fort is made for the single rock.
The single man uses the trees to hide with his arsenal of snowballs.
The fight starts.
The single man wildly hurls pieces of snow at the fort.
He is tired.
He goes to the fort and searches for the single rock.
It is gone.
He digs up all the snow he can until he finds a pile of rocks under the fort.
He screams.
He cries.
He laughs.
He lays down and falls asleep.
The day passes to the next.

A single lump of snow on a single mountain. A single hand appears. A man gets out of the lump. He walks back to the town. He sees people playing in the snow. He sees kids making snowmen. He sees people shoveling driveways. He sees people putting on chains. He sees no rock. He sees no person talking to him, no company with him, no one to talk to whenever he wants. And like Siddhartha coming out of the river to enlightenment, he has come out of the snow to leave isolation behind.
A snowball hits him in the back. Such an odd sensation he thought, to have a snowball thrown at you. He joins in with the fun.

smart_blonde GOLD, Reno, Nevada
Wow. This piece is really genius. It is long, but also enthraling. it posseses an insanity that makes it brilliant. I hope you keep contributing writing becasue this is great!