Surviving Love & War... Chapter 2 | Teen Ink

Surviving Love & War... Chapter 2

July 28, 2010
By EllenP. SILVER, Dededo, Guam, Other
EllenP. SILVER, Dededo, Guam, Other
6 articles 1 photo 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
not actually a quote but it was said in Degrassi by Johny...
"It may not have been my first time, but it was my first time doing it with someone i like"


Chapter 2
"A New Girlfriend & A New Girl-friend."

It’s been 2 weeks since the breakup. I can probably say that “I’m over Jimmy”. I’ve been doing well; I take my pills every day, I exercise every day, and Jimmy hasn’t bugged me on getting back with him. What’s on my mind is Danny never had a girlfriend. I know lots of girls like him, now that all of the girls know that Jimmy is a cheater; they went to Danny’s side. Team Danny! I don’t know what type of girl he likes; I just don’t see him flirting with girls in the school. I called some of my friends and made a plan; I called my friend Sophia to go on a blind date with Danny. Sophia was my Grade 6 classmate; she was also Danny’s partner for the middle school play of Romeo and Juliet. I thought of setting them up together because they would make a really great couple.
“Hey Danny” I said with enthusiasm.
“Hey.” He replied.
“So, how’s it going?” I asked.
“Good. Why are you acting so weird.” He asked back.
“Why would you think I’m acting weird? I’m not acting weird.” I said with a huge smile on my face.
“Okay” he said wondering what I was up to.
“So, do you have plans tomorrow?” I asked.
“Why what do you have in mind?” he was wondering.
“Uhmm… Some of my friends and I are going to the new restaurant tomorrow, you should come.”
“Sure.” He said.

I was thrilled that he said he’d come. I called Sophia to come too; and she also agreed. But neither of them knows that I set up the whole thing for their date. This is so exciting. It’s finally Saturday night, I texted Danny and Sophia that “we” had reservations at table 9. They don’t know that I would just be at table 10 wearing a cute disguise. Sophia was already at the table waiting. I saw Danny come in, and was escorted by the waiter to his reserved table. When Danny saw Sophia he opened his eyes so big like he couldn’t believe that she was there. Sophia stood up and was wondering why Danny was there too.
“Danny? What are you doing here?” Sophia asked.
“Uhmm, Suzie told me to come here. She told me that some of her friends were coming.” He explained.
“That’s what she told me too” Sophia said.

I texted both of them at the same time saying “I hope both of you have fun at you’re blind date. Oh’ and you can’t leave because I told the waiter to not let you out unless both of you are done eating and talking; and besides I already paid for it. HAVE FUN!”
“I can’t believe Suzie set us up.” Danny said.
“I know right.” Sophia said with a blushing face. Both of them were so shy to talk to each other.
“So, we’re here already, we might as well have dinner and not waist what Suzie ordered for us. Is that okay with you?” Danny asked.
“Sure.” She said. Both of them sat down, the waited brought their dinner over to them.
“So, how are you? The last time I saw was at the middle school play where you played Romeo and I was Juliet” Sophia asked; starting the conversation.
“I’m doing well. It’s been so long right? Romeo and Juliet tragic story we played in.” Danny said.
Sophia laughed at what he said. I could totally feel chemistry between them. They talked all night. Sophia and Danny laughed at each other’s jokes. I think both of them really like each other. Danny walked Sophia back home; I didn’t know how it would be so fast but Danny leaned toward Sophia and kissed her. (On the lips) It kind of made me remember me and Jimmy’s first date; where he kissed me on the cheek. I’m guessing Danny and Sophia is now a couple. I’m so happy for them… Sophia eventually moved to Winterview high school in our 3rd year of high school. Danny and Sophia are going so strong. So strong, I can’t even hang out with my best friend anymore. Everytime I try to talk to Danny she suddenly arrives and butts-in and start’s a new conversation. I was getting mad at both of them. If it wasn’t for me they wouldn’t be so happy. Some of my friends say that I’m jealous that Sophia is Danny’s new responsibility and not me. I’m not jealous, I just felt left out by them. Danny’s my bestfriend and I also like hanging out with him.
Eventually I found a way to make Danny jealous; I started hanging out with Natasha. She is one of my team mates at Volleyball. I told Natasha what my plan would be, and she totally agreed. I didn’t hang out with Danny for a few days and guess what he noticed me. But the plan wasn’t over; every time Danny came to talk to me I would tell him that I have to leave because I was going to study with Natasha during lunch, he would also ask me to hang out at the mall with him and Sophia but I tell him that I can’t because I was hanging out with Natasha.
Danny sat down with me during lunch today. “So, what gives?” he said with anger.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Why do you keep ignoring me? You keep hanging out with Natasha like she’s your new bestfriend.” He asked.
“Are you jealous that I’m hanging out with Natasha?” I asked.
“Well yeah.” he said.
“So you feel what I feel.” I said. Danny made an expression like “I don’t know what you mean”
“I felt left out. Ever since Sophia moved here to Winterview you only hang out with her. I feel like you only want to hang out with her all the time. You’re my bestfriend ever since Grade 4 and I hate it that you only hang out with her.” I explained.
“I’m sorry Suzie. I know I was only hanging out with her, that’s why I told her that sometimes I want to hang out with you; that you’re my bestfriend and I never let a bestfriend go away.” He explained.
“Really you said that? The thing about Natasha, I only told her to hang out with me to make you jealous. So that you would realize that I was feeling left out by you guys; and guess what it worked.” I said with confidence.
“It certainly did make me jealous. And I’m sorry again for making you feel left out. I won’t do that to you ever again. Bestfriends?” he asked.
“Forever.” shouted.
________________________________________

After me and Danny cleared things up we all decided to go to the mall and watch a movie. We all watched the movie Toys Story which I heard was so funny. Of course Danny sat in the middle to be fair. We laughed at every part of the movie. Sophia decided to use the restroom in the part of the movie where the Buzz was in Spanish mode. She took a long time coming back; Danny and me got worried what was taking her so long, so I decided to go after her. As I opened the door I saw Sophia making out another guy. I closed the door right away. I wanted to slap Sophia for cheating on him. I didn’t want to believe what I just saw so I opened the door little by little and I still saw them making out. I closed the door one more time. I walked back but suddenly the door opened, I turned around and I saw Sophia. She rushed toward me.
“Hey Suzie.” She said acting like she did nothing wrong behind those doors.
“How could you?!” I whispered.
“How could I what?” she asked back.
“Oh, please! Stop acting like you weren’t just kissing another guy behind that door.” I shouted.
“Don’t tell Danny.” She begged.
“Why shouldn’t I. When Danny found out that Jimmy cheated on me he punched him. Give me one reason why I shouldn’t punch you or slap you?” I explained.
She panicked while she was thinking of a good reason.” I’m waiting!” I shouted.
“I’m his first girlfriend. You don’t want to mess his first perfect relationship with me right?! Can’t you see how much I make him happy? And if you tell him Danny is never gonna want to date ever again.” She explained.
She had a point. But I had to tell Danny. I know he would get hurt if I tell him. But, Danny should know the truth about her. “So are you still going to tell him?” she asked. I was about to answer when Danny arrived.
“Tell me what?” Danny asked.
“Tell you why I took so long in the bathroom. I didn’t want her to tell you because it was so embarrassing.” She lied.
“Yeah.” I said with so much pain in me.
“Well okay. Let’s get back to the movie. You guys are missing lots of funny stuff.” Danny said.

I didn’t talk to Danny and Sophia throughout the entire movie and our way back home. I didn’t know if I should tell Danny or not. Before I went to bed I drank my medicine. I couldn’t sleep with all the things in my head. The next morning I knew that I had to tell Danny; so I sat with him during lunch.
"Hi Danny, how's it going?" I asked.
“Okay I guess.” He replied.
“Look I have to tell you something. It’s about Sophia.” I said.
“What about Sophia?” he asked.
“She’s” just when I was about to tell him, she arrives. “What did you want to tell me Suzie.” He asked again. “It doesn’t matter.” I replied. I couldn’t tell him that she was cheating on him. It was really hard telling him while Sophia was there. I ended up not telling him. I just don’t want him to find out for himself that she’s cheating on her. I went to my doctor’s appointments all the time. My results were getting better and better, but the doctor said to not stress about anything. I tried not to think about Danny. I want to tell him so badly, I saw how he stood up for me when Jimmy cheated on me, and I know that I should do the same thing. But when and how can I possibly tell him?


The author's comments:
It's hard when your bestfriend ignores you because of a girl. What would you do if that happened?