Gone With the Sun | Teen Ink

Gone With the Sun

July 5, 2010
By wild-free BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts
wild-free BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All good things are wild and free." - Henry David Thoreau

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore


It is late august and I can hear waves crashing in the distance as I sway back and forth in my family’s worn hammock. The breeze is soft and feels nice against my warm skin. It is nearly eight o’clock and the sun is putting on quite a show, dancing upon the tips of the trees in this old beach town I’ve known all of my life. I am curious to see how long it can put up a fight before the moon barges in and takes its rightful place in the sky. Secretly, I am rooting for the sun, for it’s a shame that a day like this is forced to come to an end. However all good things must go, just like this day and this summer—and you.



I try not to think about you on days like this. I try not to think of how much you would have loved to be lying right here with me, tangled in this tiny swing as the wind wisps through our clothes and hair. You would have been laughing. Yes, I can hear it now—your boisterous laugh echoing through the small yard, drowning out even the heavy pounding of the waves. It’s so obnoxious yet so infectious that I can hardly control my own giggles. Soon we are both gasping for air, and we don’t even know what the original joke was. We are just laughing because it feels right—it always felt right.



I remember the day we went bike-riding along the beach. It was another perfect day and I knew you wouldn’t want to just lounge around; you would want to do something. So I pulled my dad’s old bike out of the shed and rode down to your house. When I arrived you were sitting on your front porch, as soon as you saw me a smile burst across your face. I could tell I read your mind, as I often did. Without hesitation you were down your front steps and into your garage.



Within minutes we were soaring through the crowded streets, laughing our heads off as we dodged angry tourists left and right. We couldn’t have been happier. The only thing that ruined the day was when I became upset because I got a flat tire and I flipped off of my bike. I was fuming—how could something so ridiculous ruin such a great day? All I could do was pace around kicking sand, too angry to speak. You let me get my anger out for about five minutes, then when you thought I had enough you started laughing at me. Before I could speak you had me over your shoulder, running full speed towards the ocean. I was kicking and screaming and begging you to put me down, but you wouldn’t let up. You told me if I didn’t cut out the bull s*** and smile then I was going head first into the ocean. All I could muster up was a combination of screams and laughter, so in the water I went and down you came with me. On our way back you let me ride your bike and you carried mine the whole way home. Somehow you were able to make a perfect day even more perfect, when I thought it was ruined. I never knew how you did it, but I knew one thing; that was the day I fell in love with you.



I feel my heart begin to ache as I try and push that memory out of my mind. I can’t believe it has been a year since the last time we saw each other. I remember how you kissed me softly and told me to be a big girl and not worry, that I should go on with my everyday life and not spend all of my time missing you. You told me to still ride my bike and enjoy the warm breeze. You told me to still laugh because the world would be an unhappy place without it. You told me you loved me and you would be thinking about me every day, and I knew you meant it. I know somewhere you are sitting and thinking about me, as I am thinking about you. However, the sounds of birds chirping and waves crashing are replaced by the sounds of bombs exploding and children crying. I never understood your decision to join the army, but I suppose that’s just because I need you here with me and I was angry you didn’t need me too. I know now that isn’t true and I was just afraid of missing you.



The sky begins to get darker and I frown as I see the sun finally give in and dip down below the trees. I gather my belongings and all of my memories and make my way into the house. I leave my disappointment behind in the hammock, for I know the sun will be back in the morning. I just yearn for the day you will be back with it.