He loved me. . . | Teen Ink

He loved me. . .

By TRXLaurana SILVER, Bakersfield, California
TRXLaurana SILVER, Bakersfield, California

"Always expect the worse"
-Unknown

She cried, and cried, and couldn’t seem to stop. The tears didn’t seem to want to stop. She loved him, and he loved her. He was gone now, but there was nothing she could do about it. She couldn’t even beg. She’d already tried. It was four days ago. They were both seventeen, and said they loved each other. It was going to be her birthday the next day, so he said he would drive the two of them to Six Flags, and they’d spend the day together. She was so happy, she couldn’t believe it had only been a few days ago.
“So you’ll go on Super Man?” he asked her.
“Only if you’ll go with me,” she said, looking at everything pass us by. They were going down the highway, and were only an hour-and-a-half away from the park.
“I know, I know,” he said, “You’ll love it! You’ll be so scared you’ll love it!” he had said.
“Well the scared part is just about right,” she said, smiling uneasily.
“You’ll be fine,” he told her.
“Yeah, I know. You’ll be with me,” she said beaming at him.
His heart grew warm as he saw a smile on her face. She had seemed so down lately, and all she told him was not to worry about her, but how couldn’t he? He loved her, and that was part of his job. “Well I guess that’s a pretty good reason,” he said, joking.
They drove on for a little while, when she stared out the side mirror, “You better pull over,” she said.
“Why?” he asked.
“There’s some freak speeding down the interstate,” she said.
“It’s fine, I’ll just move to the next lane,” he said.
“No, I really think you should pull over,” she told him, but he was already shifting.
The speeding car, swerved to the right trying to avoid them, but hit. He could hear her scream, and felt a hot pain go through his side. She screamed, and could feel heat coming from the front of the car, then she blacked out. He saw her with her eyes closed lying in the seat, her seatbelt torn in two. His head was throbbing and his side searing, while he though, “Please don’t be dead, please don’t be dead!” He started trying to crawl over, but the pain was to bad, and he fell to the ground. He painfully inched to her side, and covered her mouth with his torn shirt, and then a red haze crossed his eyes, and everything went black.
?

She woke up, and couldn’t breath for a minute. “W-where am I?” she asked. She could see a light above her and she was laying down. White walls came into focus, and then pain.
“Are you okay?” asked a voice.
“I-I think. Mom?” she said.
“Yes sweetie,” her mom said.
“What happened?” she asked, sitting up and rubbing her head.
“You got in a car crash,” she told her.
He remembered everything. “oh my God! Where is he?” she asked frantically.
“He’s downstairs,” her mother said.
“I want to go see him,” she demanded.
“No you need to lay down,” her mom said.
“I’m going to go see him,” she said, firmly, and stood up wobbly.
“If-if you must,” her mom replied.
They got up and walked up a flight of stairs, and headed toward a room at the end of a hall. A doctor came out with a grave look on his face, and walked past them. She looked at him, frightened, then opened the door. He was on a bed with need les and tubes all over him. There was a breathing mask on his face. His eyes were barely opened, and he had a large burn mark on his forehead. “Oh dear Lord!” she said.
“He was holding you when they got you guys. His shirt was over your face, blocking the smoke,” her mom told her.
She ran over to his side. “De-derrick?” she said.
“Your-you’re here. Your ok-ok-okay,” he said hardly breathing.
“You saved me,” she said, quietly.
“I had to. I-I-I love you,” he said, so quietly only she could hear, “Please don’t forget me.”
“No, please don’t,” she cried, but knew she had to realize. . .Derrick was going to die.

I did this piece out of what I'm not sure, but it made me sort of emotional when I wrote it.Please tell me what you think of it.