I ____ Blind Dates | Teen Ink

I ____ Blind Dates

June 23, 2010
By RonCame1993 SILVER, Farmington Hills, Michigan
RonCame1993 SILVER, Farmington Hills, Michigan
9 articles 3 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If I'm weird, what's normal?
Gullible isn't in the dictionary... (sad face)


FADE IN:
INT. CINEMA
LOBBY
NIGHT
SUZANNE is waiting for her date, CHRIS, to show up. She is nervous, continuously going between checking her appearance in a hand mirror and pacing in front of the ticket booth.

SUZANNE
(She begins to pace while talking to herself, her heels clicking with each step)
I can’t believe I let them talk me into this! A blind date!? What if he doesn’t show or he’s some grimy old guy? That sounds like something Lauren and Maria would do.

Chris, a thin lanky teen with a slightly acne-scarred face enters the theater. He wears a slightly wrinkled Beatles t-shirt and he’s in need of a haircut.
CHRIS
(Flicking his hair from his eyes, he looks around the theater before his eyes rest on Suzanne)

Are you Suzanne? Hey, chick! Is your name Suzanne?
SUZANNE
Yeah…
CHRIS
(Giving her a lopsided grin)
‘Kay, cool. I’m Chris and since your name’s Suzanne, I’d guess you’re my blind date?
SUZANNE
(Not sure of what to make of Chris)
Uhm… I guess so…
CHRIS
(Flicking his hair again)
Rad; we’re seeing Robin Hood, right?

Suzanne had wanted to see Eclipse, The Twilight Saga but her friends told her to see a movie that her date wanted to see since he would be paying.
CHRIS CONT’D
Cool and I’m paying and stuff so--- you don’t need your wallet, babe.
SUZANNE
(Putting her wallet back in her purse) Thanks, that’s really nice but---.
Chris interrupts Suzanne and stops her talking by holding up a hand.
CHRIS
Chill. I got everything covered.
FADE IN:
THEATER 13
NIGHT
Suzanne and Chris buy their tickets and two bags of popcorn from the ticket booth along with a large Pepsi for Chris. Suzanne follows Chris into the theater and lets him pick their seats, in the first row.
SUZANNE
(Settling into her seat as the movie starts and eating a handful of popcorn)
There’s not enough butter on this popcorn. I’m going to go get some more.
CHRIS
Okay. Oh, can you get me a bag of M&Ms and some nachos. Thanks, babe, here’s the cash.
SUZANNE
Yeah…
INT. CINEMA LOBBY
NIGHT
Suzanne walks over to the Concession Counter and gives JOHN, the employee, a weak smile.
SUZANNE
Can I have a bag of M&Ms and nachos.
JOHN
(Looking at Suzanne)
I saw you two come in here earlier and uh, he doesn’t really look like your type.
SUZANNE
Is it that obvious?
JOHN
(Taking the bag of popcorn from Suzanne)
Yeah. You don’t seem like you would go for the grungy, hippy look. But hey, who am I to judge?
SUZANNE
Yeah, well, you’re right. He’s not my type at ALL. My friend’s put me up to it. They thought a blind date would be better for “my soul.”
JOHN
(Handing over Suzanne’s food)
My sister set up a blind date for me one time and it didn’t end so well… I hope yours goes better than mine went.
SUZANNE
Thanks.
Suzanne walks back into Theater 13, her arms laden with food. She squints in the darkness of the theater until she sees Chris waving to her. She joins him at the front of the theater.
SUZANNE
(Settling back into her seat, she hands Chris his food.)
What’d I miss?
CHRIS
Shhh! I’m trying to watch.
Suzanne’s glare and offended look go unnoticed in the dark theater. The movie screen suddenly lights up. Seeing her looking/glaring at him, Chris turns and grins at her while leaning towards her. Suzanne smiles sarcastically and turns away to stare at the screen.
CHRIS
(Whispering and crunching on a nacho)
Hey, Suzie; could you get me another Pepsi and popcorn?

SUZANNE
(Feeling a little used, she takes the money he has dug from his pocket)
Sure. Anything else?
CHRIS
No. Thanks though, for offering.
Rolling her eyes, Suzanne gets up and leaves the theater.
SUZANNE
(Mumbling to herself as she walks down the hallway)
He has to pee by now. He drank that entire Pepsi and hasn’t gotten up yet.
JOHN
Hey! You’re back! What’d he want this time?
SUZANNE
(Smiling)
Another bag of popcorn and the biggest cup of pop you have.
JOHN
He hasn’t gone to the bathroom yet?
SUZANNE
(Taking the food and drink)
Nope. Thanks for the food.
JOHN
Yeah, see yah.
Suzanne quickly returns to the theater as one of the characters of the movie is shot down.
SUZANNE
Here’s your stuff, Chris.
CHRIS
Huh? Oh, thanks.
SUZANNE
(Settling back into her seat, Suzanne props her head on her hand. She has no idea what’s happening in the movie. Whispering)
What’s going on?
CHRIS
(A look of annoyance passes over his thin face)
Watch the movie and you’ll figure it out.
Suzanne sighs and stares blankly at the screen until she falls asleep.
CHRIS
Hey! Hey! You awake? Yeah? Could you get me some more pop?
Suzanne takes the money from him without a word and storms out of the theater.
CHRIS CONT’D
What’s her problem? They didn’t tell me she would come with an attitude.
INT. CINEMA LOBBY
Suzanne stalks into the lobby and runs a hand through her hair. She clenches her jaw in anger.
JOHN
Whoa, you look angry.
SUZANNE
You think? He just woke me up from one of the best naps ever.
JOHN
(Laughing)
The movie’s that good, huh? Which one is it anyways?
SUZANNE
Robin Hood.

JOHN
(Giving the girl a sympathetic look, then nonchalantly)
I would’ve preferred to see Eclipse myself.
SUZANNE
(Oblivious to his obvious pick up line)
So would I.
JOHN
So, I’m guessing your date wants another Pepsi?
SUZANNE
Yep and can you put ice in it: a lot of ice?
JOHN
No problem.
SUZANNE
(Smiling a little mischievously)
Thanks for the help.
Suzanne walks back into the theater and walks through the row behind the one that Chris sits in.
CHRIS
Hey, wrong row, babe. Dude, it’s hot in here and I’m thirsty. Did you get my drink?
SUZANNE
Yeah. I hope it cools you down.
WOMAN IN THEATER
Hey! Down in front!
Ignoring the woman, Suzanne takes the lid off of the cup and dumps it onto Chris. As if mirroring her actions, on the movie screen, ROBIN HOOD splashes underwater to get away from two boats.
CHRIS
(Frantically wiping at his soda covered shirt)
Geez! What did you do that for?
Suzanne smiles at her ex-blind date and leaves the theater, dropping the cup on her way out.

INT. CINEMA LOBBY
SUZANNE
(To John)
He liked his drink.
JOHN
(Raising an eyebrow)
Oh? Hey, uh, I get off work in five minutes. We can go see Eclipse if you want?
SUZANNE
(Smiling and keeping herself from rolling her eyes)
Nah, I’ve had enough excitement for one night. Thanks though.
Smiling, Suzanne waves to John as she leaves the theater, her heels clicking against floor.
INT. SUZANNE’S CAR
NIGHT
Suzanne turns on her car and backs out of her parking space.
SUZANNE CONT’D
(To herself)
I hate blind dates.

THE END

The author's comments:
I'm trying something different. It's a t.v./movie script style. I came up with my idea because my mom was set up on a blind date for her prom when she was in high school...
Feedback is welcome: good or bad.