The friendship that saved my life:part 2 | Teen Ink

The friendship that saved my life:part 2

By SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
~Unknown
"Things change, friends leave, and life doesn't stop for anybody."
~Stepgen Chbosky

As the days went on all I thought about was Cory, Cory, Cory. I still couldn’t believe that he risked his life for me. I cried everyday for a week after his death. For his funeral I wore the long strapless black dress he helped me pick out last month for our eighth grade reunion. The reunion was next week, Cory and I were going to go together. Now that he’s dead I don’t think I’ll even go at all.

Besides that I know I’ll be asked “oh how are you doing in school now? Has high school been good to you?” As if they even care how high schools been and how I’m doing! They really only ask that too because I used to be a straight A student, and now I’m pretty much maintaining a C average. I see know need to do anything with Cory gone, he was what I live for and now, he’s not living.

You see Cory was my everything. My best friend, my seceret admirer, my true love. We told each other everything all the time. I wish he hadn’t saved my life! I wish I was the one who got hit! I finally figured out how to ease my pain at least a little. I told my brother I was going out and I’d be back later. I grabbed a rose out of the vase on the side table and walked out of the house. I walked to the cemitary where Cory was burried. I read the tombstone to myself once more.

Cory Joshua Marcus April 3, 1994- October 11, 2010. Son, Brother, Best friend; Forever remembered in all our hearts. I thought about the journal entrie they read at his funeral. I remember when we got the assigment when we were in 6th grade. Cory wouldn’t let anyone read it, especally me, and now, I see why he wouldn’t. I sit here, I wish, I wish that she was mine. Her long curlt brown hair sways as she moves, and her dark blue eyes shine in the sun and the moon. They shine bright, bright like a star. Her soft voice is so comforting; she doesn’t seem to know what she means to me.

She is my best friend, she is the one, the one that recuscued me from a world full of people. Full of people, lonelyness, critisism, and emptyness. A world where I had no one. No one but her, a life with one person is not a good life at all, unless that person is her. She changed my life, she was my friend when no one else was, she was there for me when no one else was. She was the one there in my world; my world with a brother who hurt me, a father addicted to drugs, a mother working three jobs to support her young children. She came and she rescued me, she came and turned my life around.

She saved me; she gave me a life I never thought I would have. She helped me see the world for what it really is. My life is now complete because I have someone to love. I have something to look forward to now. Something that matteres, someone who accepts me, someone who sees me for who I really am, and someone who cares. That was all I ever wanted, someone who cares, and now I have that. She cares about me and what I do, she is my best friend and I truly do love her.

I sighed. “Yes he is. Forever loved and forever my best friend.” I sat down on the ground and I heard a voice. “You two, eh?” I jerked my head around. I didn’t relize anyone else was even here. “What do you mean?” I asked. “Well, you said forever loved.” Replyed the voice. “Bye the way, I’m Alex.” “Rebecca.” “But yes, my best friend died two weeks ago. He got hit by a car, because he pushed me out of the way.” “I will always love him no matter what.” I said. “His last words to me were, promise me you’ll never forget me.”

I sighed. “Excuse me, I have to go now.” I put the rose down and got up. I started walking home and wondered what he ment. He said you two but never told me who he knew that died. I shook my head; I did not want to think about anything else dying now.
2 Weeks Later

After school I walked over to the park on the other side of the street and I sat down on the bench. Than all of a sudden I heard a voice, it was Jesse and his best friend Ivan. “I don’t know about you, but I’m glad Cory’s dead.” Jesse said. “That idiot was taking Rebecca away from me.” “I know right!” Ivan replyed. “Any time you two were together he’d call or text her, and she’d pick up!” “I don’t care if he was her best friend, if that car hadn’t hospitalized him, I would have!” Jesse said. I could tell he was getting angry and his voice was rising.

“YOU WERE GONNA DO WHAT!” I shouted. “Shoot.” Jesse murmered. “Nothing sweatheart, nothing.” “Don’t call me sweatheart!” I screamed. “You would not have layed a finger on his head. You would not have touched a single hair on his head.” “Calm down drama queen.” Jesse smirked. I couldn’t handle it anymore, I raised my fist and punched Jesse in the nose, he fell back and Ivan pushed him back up again. “What the heck did you do that for?!” Jesse screamed.

“You were talking about my best friend!” “So what! He’s dead, get over it!” That was it; I went to puch him again when someone grabbed me and pulled me back. “Let me go!” I screamed. I kicked and hollered. “Relax, it’s me, Alex.” “I don’t care, I don’t even know, so let me go!” “NO! I’m not going to let you get hurt too.” “What do you mean too?” I stopped struggling and Alex let me go. I turned around and asked again. “What do you mean too?!” Alex sighed “I think I need to tell you who I really am.” “What are you talking about?” I asked.

Alex took a deep breath before beginning. “My name is Alex Marcus, Cory, is my little brother. I’m 19 years old, the other week when I saw you at the cemitary I was visting my girlfriend. I live over in New Jersey but when I heard Cory died I came back here. My girlfriend died shortly before Cory. Two weeks to be exact and I was planning to propose to her that night. When she died I left my apartment and moved to New Jersey. Now Cory’s gone too and you, being all he had I can’t let something happen to you too.”

“I had no idea.” I said. “Cory never mentioned that he had a brother.” “I know, I threatened him when we were little kids and he said he never wanted to speak to me again. So once I tearned 15 I went and I found myself an apartment. We haven’t spoken since I was 11 and I regret everything I ever said to him. You and Cory were so close and so I consider you family. So now you’re all I really have and so I can’t make let anything happen to you too.” “Jesse is just jealous that Cory ment more to you than he did.” I started crying I knew that Alex was right.

I shouldn’t beat up Jesse because of what he says about Cory. Jesse is just a bad person and I shouldn’t care about what he says. I don’t even care about Jesse anymore. I don’t even know why I decided to go out with him anymore. Cory was my best friend and I love him to pieces. A part in me will always be his, after im married and have kids I will still love Cory. Cory is my one true love and I will never forget him.

Sequal to the frienship that saved my life.

~Unknown
~Stepgen Chbosky

It's not over yet. Part 3 is on the way!(:

mudpuppy BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Life is like a box of cheese and flower petal sometimes it's soft and sweet, sometimes it just plain stinks. - M.J.

Such a sad ending. :(