Something's Different | Teen Ink

Something's Different

By GrayGriffin GOLD, Hsinchu, Other
GrayGriffin GOLD, Hsinchu, Other

He walked down the path every day, he was always looking around. It was a simple, quiet path. There were no benches, no children running alongside it, nothing at all.

Certainly not a giant cone that looked like a prototype for a tube slide. Granted, one that tapered off into a little smidgen at the end and didn't have a ladder. But it was the closest analogy he could think of.

Now what could it be? He could of course have walked past, but it piqued his curiousity. He approached it, circling it warily. It was quite sturdy-looking, with the end near the ground embedded in cement and two metal poles holding it up. At the same time, the large opening that loomed over his head made it foreboding. But it was doing nothing, so he walked by.

The next day, the cone had been joined by a giant sculpture of a chess knight. Several children were climbing up the cone and staring at the knight. Really, were the brats going to invade his privacy? This walk was the only chance he got to compose himself. But now, with the noise, he couldn't do that.

The days after that, more and more strange sculptures appeared, along with a sign. Modern Art Exhibition!

What in the world? How dare they come into his life with their "art," messing it up and laughing in his face about it! He would have to find a new route home now!