Nothing More Than Everything | Teen Ink

Nothing More Than Everything

By ArtInBlackandWhite BRONZE, Oxford, Pennsylvania
ArtInBlackandWhite BRONZE, Oxford, Pennsylvania

"Never start frowning, because you never know who could be falling in love with your smile."

I imagine you and me like the movies.

Could we be a movie? Could we fall in love with life all over again? Could we press the replay button when our story ends?

I want to live it over. All of it. Every laugh and smile and secret and tear. I want to press ‘play’ and see our lives like we knew them before—you and me, against the world.

When I see us laughing, I put things into slow motion. I look at us. I look at how we clutch our sides in a joyful kind of pain. I look at the tears in our eyes and suddenly realize that it’s possible to laugh until you cry.

I etch it into my brain. I draw the picture into every bit of me I have and save it there, tucked away.

And then I press ‘pause’, because this is the last second of our movie. I don’t want it to end. I want to stare at the happy streams of saltwater running down your cheeks forever. I want to swim through all our memories. I don’t want this to fade to black. I don’t want to forget.

If I could keep my senses on ‘pause’ forever, I would. I would. I swear, I would.

But now, I feel you fading…fading through those shades of gray. Don’t leave, I whisper, but you can’t hear me.