Two sides of Happiness | Teen Ink

Two sides of Happiness

May 27, 2010
By Naveen GOLD, Karachi, Other
Naveen GOLD, Karachi, Other
14 articles 0 photos 10 comments

You know that feeling when you wake up in the morning and nothing seems right? A weird feeling comes into your heart as a conscience that today will not be a good day? Well that’s what I felt like when I woke up today. It was just the beginning of the worst day ever.

Considering the fact that I forgot my homework assignment, I got scolded twice for talking through lectures and I ended up getting punished. It was a rush. Plus I got into a major fight with on of my best friends. When things weren’t worse enough, I got called to the principle’s office during my Biology class. My heart was beating at 100 miles per hour. I had never got called to the principal’s office. As I got into the secretary’s office I saw my driver sitting there waiting for me.

I got informed that he has come to pick me up from school, and to take me to my grandfather who has received a severe angina attack and is admitted in the hospital.
As I was on my way, I made a silent prayer for my grandfather’s health. I reached to the nearby hospital and demanded the receptionist to tell me my grandfather’s room number. She directed me towards a crowd of people gathered outside the operation theater. On looking I saw that they all were my kin. They all were gathered around, praying for my grandfather. I saw my mom and my grandmother crying and people consoling them. I made my way to them and tried to console them. I knew things were serious as the doctor had said that the next 24 hours are very crucial for him.

I couldn’t take the tension any more. Before I myself started crying, I politely excused myself from there as I needed a quiet private time to control my emotions. After having the worst day at school and watching all of my relatives all depressed like that I seriously needed a time out.

I silently headed towards the coffee section. I needed caffeine to clear all of my thoughts. There was where I met him. He was standing in the coffee queue. I have never seen such a cute boy in my whole life. Casually he lifted his gaze and saw me coming towards the coffee section. Our eyes met and despite what I was going through since morning; his smile made me smile and my heart skipped a couple of beats. I went over and stood behind him. We exchanged his and hellos. It was his turn to fill his cup. After doing that he offered me his cup and took mine, filled it and offered me to sit besides him on the nearby bench.

We sat there, sipping coffees telling each other about ourselves. I told him why I’m here, he consoled about my grandfather. I asked him his reason for being here and he told me that he’s going to be a older brother very soon. I congratulated him. I don’t know why but I’ve never felt like this way before. Despite all of my worries and problems he made me feel better. He made me forget everything. I think I like him a lot.

As we were finishing our coffees I saw my cousin rushing towards me. Looking at her I snapped back to the real world and stood up. She told me in a happy tone that my grandfather is out of danger and he will be alright. Wind of relief swished through me. I thanked God, and then introduced Jake to her as she was eyeing me; demanding who he is. She smiled a hello and went back towards the operation theater, so that me and Jake would have a private moment. Jake also congratulated me. He told me to go back to my family and check on my grandfather. I thanked him for everything. We both exchanged our numbers to keep in contact in future and I happily left.

Who would have known that the worst day of my life would transform and have such a happy ending? My grandfather was out of danger and was slowly recovering, Jake and me are now best of friends I meet him like everyday and I just got his text that he is now a proud older brother of a pretty baby girl. I experienced two forms of happiness in one day; I for one did not see this coming! ;)