Paper Cranes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She taught him how to make them, one careful fold at a time. Even when he messed up and the wrinkled paper became useless, she patiently handed him another and walked him through the steps again.

One thousand cranes.

One thousand cranes and a wish for each, the same wish, and when the thousand cranes were done, the wish might come true.

She taught him, one crane after another, until one day she couldn't fold them any more; her hands were too shaky to make the careful creases. He took over then, carefully, lovingly folding one crane after another, lifting each finished one to his lips to breathe the wish over it.

He worked at it all through her diagnosis – cancer – through the chemotherapy – no sign of remission – and through the proclamation of her death day – only weeks to live.

He didn't finish in time. She died the moment he completed the nine hundred and ninety-ninth crane.

The thousandth was laid on her grave, a bright spot of red against the gray stone and dying grass. Red like blood and a wish, unfulfilled.

“Let my mother get better.”

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 7:06 am
I enjoyed this story. It's so short and simple but all the more meaningful. I like how he still wished for her sake though she is dead already. Great article. Keep writing!

zandragrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much!

AllanaCal said...
It's really sweet. I enjoyed how the boy gives the last crane to his mother as a parting gift. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much ^^

Kwigggggg said...
This is so relatable, I can really feel for the "I" character here. Really well done.

Thank you C:

thatclarinetgirl said...
Thank you, alex. Old wishes are replaced with new wishes. Some wishes stay in your heart and linger. Others come true and the rest are tosseed in to the wind to make room for new ones. I'm glad to have had the chance to read your poem and i hope i can find more of your stuff in the future

alexpeanut This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks for reading!

alex198 said...
May 8, 2011 at 8:06 am
I love this! It was really well written; short and simple, emphasising the shock and sadness of the piece. I really enjoyed it :)

Thank you very much!

HeadlightsOnDarkRoads said...
That was so good! I agree with RealRiot about the reminiscence of Sadako's story. However, it was a great little story and I read it twice :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

RealRiot said...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hmm, although the story is beautiful I couldn't help but remeber the story Sadako and The One Thousand Paper Cranes. But that was the point? Yes, no?

Still, I loved it. Keep up the good work.

Never heard of it O: I'll have to go read it.

thatclarinetgirl said...
I love this! It made me think of the many wishes of mine that didn't come true

Sorry to hear about your wishes. Maybe the next one will come true!

jmswriter1 said...
This was very good! I enjoyed reading it. Keep going, it was very inspiring!:D

Thank you much!

Debbie1 said...
Wow! This was touching and well written. Great job!

Thank you very much!