Los Duraznos

My mother died when I was 12 years old. she was spanish. She had lovely golden skin and long dark hair. She always spoke in spanish. My Father never understood what she was saying. She taught him how to say the names of fruit in spanish. She would hold the fruit up and say it's name. Las uvas she would say and hold up some grapes. Then we would all laugh at my fathers failed attempts to speak in spanish. Her favorite fruit was Los Duraznos. Peaches. She loved them. We would eat them all the time. She would cut them up and gave them to us evry day after lunch.

I learned how to speak spanish when I was just six years old. My father who spoke only in english always struggled. My mother told him he would learn soon. Quie adelante no mira , atras se queda. The person who does not look ahead stays behind. My mother was a very wise woman. When she died Papi would chop Los Duraznos every day after lunch just like mother did. He would also work on his spanish. Just like mother told him to.

I miss my mother. I always repeat to my self the wise words she always use to tell us. Quie adelante no mira, atras seqeda. I always tell myself to not dwell on the past but look ahead. Not only for me but for papi to.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

fight for the right said...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 9:58 am:
oooooooooooooooooooooooo