Every little beat Chapter 2

“Sooo, have you thought about it yet?” was the first thing Lindsey asked the next day as I slid out the door of my old pickup truck. Had she been waiting for me just to ask THAT? I slung my backpack over shoulders and gathered up a couple pieces of sheet music I had just printed off the night before.

“Not at all,” I said in the carefree tone I knew would annoy Lindsey most. I brushed my pants off with the one free hand I had, trying to rid it from the dust that had collected from inside my car. Lindsey began to get that dreaded look that she had thought of a new idea. Wonder what it could be this time?

“You know,” she began. Here it comes. “if you won the competition you would be one thousand dollars closer to buying a new car. It would be nice if you could drive something that didn’t look like a trashcan on wheels.”

“Bribery doesn’t work with me, you should already know that. Besides, it’s not all that bad,” I said, glancing toward the truck, almost as if confirming whether if what I said was true or not. Sure, the truck was dented in some places and needed a new paint job, and sure the engine is pretty loud and it takes up a bunch of gas, but that didn’t mean I needed a new car.

“Carrie, I bet this truck is older than my grandpa,” Lindsey said with her I’m-totally-one-hundred-percently-serious look plastered on her face.

“It is not, and no matter what you say I am NOT joining this stupid contest.” That should keep her quite for a bit. I began my way towards the school building. Lindsey was quick to follow me.

“You know, I’m really beginning to wonder why you always seem to be angry. It’s pretty depressing, you know?” Lindsey but her index finger to chin and looked up to the sky. A few seconds later she added, “It’s pretty disturbing how you’re so comfortable with lying too.”

“Who says I am?” We were just entering into the school hallways. A roar of talking and laughter entered into my ear buds at once. Students were walking every which way, and in some crowded areas we had to squeeze through to get to the other side.
“Well, you lie to me all the time, like yesterday you told me your mom died and then was all like ‘Just kidding!’ the moment I believed you.”

“That’s ‘cause you ask too many questions.”

I could tell Lindsey was about to say more when the five minute warning bell rang. Our lockers were both on the opposite sides of the school building, making it difficult to talk to each other between classes or right before school. Lindsey was silent for a couple seconds before finally saying, “Ok, I’ll talk to you later,” and headed off towards her locker.

Today the music room was empty when I entered it. I was able to escape from Lindsey before she had time to continue on with her conversation on why I should join the music competition. I’m sure I won’t be able to hear the end of it tomorrow, but for now it was time to start working on my new song. I rummaged through my backpack, and pulled it out after finding it along with a bunch of my other sheet music papers. The same friendly piano sat on the other side of the room against the wall. I lined the music in order and took my seat in the bench just a couple inches in front of the piano. The title “River Flows In You” by Yiruma stood out from the perfectly shaped notes on the very first page. Relaxing, I placed my hands on the smooth black-and-white keys. The feeling of their shape was so comforting, so inviting.

First, I practiced the right hand, and then the left hand. After maybe an hour or so I tried putting both together. I was going probably a fifth the speed I was supposed to play it and messed up just about every other note. I repeatedly went back to the beginning again, hoping that maybe this time I would magically play it perfectly, but still struggled to get past the first couple of measures. I’m not sure how long I went on like that, but eventually I banged my fists against the keys and covered my face with the palms of my hands. This was impossible! Even though this piece is, for the most part, pretty simple I could hardly play the first couple of lines. I didn’t want to play anymore, but I didn’t want to leave either, so I just sat there like that. I didn’t notice the minutes pass by as I allowed my frustration cloud over the relaxation I had felt when I first started playing.

In the midst of the silence surrounding me, I could hear the faint sound of footsteps. Soon the grew louder and louder as whoever came closer to the music room. Suddenly the footsteps stopped just right outside the door. I twirled my head as the doorknob began to turn. In stepped a boy- tall, brown hair and eyes, light skin. He wasn’t exactly what most girls would call “cute”, but he wasn’t ugly either. More like he was average, but there was something about him that told me he was a nice person. What was even weirder was even though I had no clue who the heck he was, there was something kinda familiar about him. Something told me he wasn’t one of the students.

Something in his hands caught my eye. It seemed like a couple papers with a bunch of black squgglies on them. Staring at the papers a bit more carefully and I realized they were music notes. That’s when I finally realized who he was. He was the one who had played the piano in here the day before! He must be back to practice again.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t hear you playing, so I thought no one was in here,” he says as he began to step out the doorway, but I stop him by saying, “Nah it’s fine. I’m done anyway.” Standing up and shoving the music sheets into my backpack, I smile his way, trying to give off my best impression of being friendly. “See ya,” I say as I walk past where he was standing and out the door. Though I don’t know where the “See ya” came from or where I would “see” him at, I guess it did give off a good ring.

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 1, 2010 at 1:52 pm:

I really like your writing! The story seems a bit scattered, but maybe it's just because it's the beginning. It is only the beginning, right? You're going to write more? 

You'd better, because this is super!

--LoveHappens-- said...
Great job I love the description. You should defiantly write more about the story. Please take a look at my work too thanks

SwordGirl said...
This is amazing! The characterization of Lindsey is great!

SwordGirl replied...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm :
By the way, the third chapter of my story "Moonless" just got posted. If you get the chance, can you check it out? Thanks!

purpleauthor said...
i love it! can't wait for the third part. great story.

~Air~ said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm:

Huh, I think I messed up on the Author's comment thingie. It's supposed to say this: "I just thought it would be pretty fun to write a love story that circles around music. Also, what is being played in the story is actually a real song, so if you want to hear what it's supposed to sound like you can look it up."

Sorry for the confusion!

ZAVERY replied...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 7:10 pm :
I love this story! It's so emotional the way you explained how she was courageous before playing the piano, but then felt discouraged. You know, you NEED to get published in a book, I am serious! P.S When are you going to post the third part?

~Air~ replied...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 7:23 pm :
Thank you so much! I'm writing the thrird part right now, so I'm going to be submitting it pretty soon. It took about two and a half weeks for my first two submissions to be posted on the website, so I'm guessing it will be about that long for the third part too.

ZAVERY replied...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm :
Aww[sigh]. I was hoping it would be out sooner. :C I guess the best things need some waiting.

~Air~ replied...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 7:41 pm :
Well, actually what I meant was after I submitted it in, it took about two and a half weeks for it to get approval and whatever. It might come out sooner this time though. I've heard from people that some of their submissions are posted after only a couple of days.

ZAVERY replied...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:24 am :

My submissions take atleast a month to get released. I really need to be patient.

:C