The Debate of Trust

I glance at the corner, where the big street light shines dimly on the sidewalk beneath it. I look at Valerie. Her face covered with the sleeves of her sweatshirt. Secretly mopping up her tears. The tears I have forced upon her, the one’s I should be crying. My secrets came by dozens, rushing in on her, telling her who I was. Telling her everything, I knew she would never believe them, until this morning when they all backfired on her.

I glance away for just a moment, every cell in my body praying she hasn’t noticed my stare. I look down at my shoes wrinkled in shame. I look back at Valerie asking myself why I have done this to her. I cannot blame Shelley for this. These were my actions. Influenced by Shelley done by me, the fault is mine. My trust would never be regained by Valerie. I knew this now. I lied to her, about everything, about who I was, where I came from; everything but my name. I do believe she is eligible to even question that now. I shove my face into my arms, my ponytail too tight and high, pulling back on me. The stress that compelled me caused me to tear it out and throw it to the ground. I pulled too hard, too quick, it snapped. In the dead silence of the night, It sounded loud enough to be the equivalent to a trio of people banging pots and pans. Valerie turned and saw me, her jaw dropped in shock, her eyes said everything. I stood there and looked at her, wanting to force my self over there to talk to her. With every intention to turn away and sprint down the street. The only speck of good inside of me, told my brain to move. My legs ached as I forcefully pushed them forward. Standing directly in front of Valerie, all she did was stare. As if I was some sickening monster, ready to take her life away. Or already had. Her eyes locked on mine, screaming at me, demanding to know why I was so cruel to her, and why I am so mean to everyone. My eyes calmly, ready to cry, explain to her I had no intention for anything to back fire on her. I was under pressure, extreme pressure. Her eye’s debate trusting me, although I am telling the truth this time. I do understand her concern that I am lying.

Camille C. said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:38 am
This peice was really good. I would have liked it to continue. You know? Like what happens? Do Val say anything? Does Emma Lee run away? How does Shelley play a role in the end or is her part over?

Healing_Angel said...
Great job. I love this. You should continue. This will make a great book. 

soccercrazy said...
it seems... unended. like, not finished. it's good, there just ... isn't an ending.

Rachel_Chace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
yeahh i know, its not supposed to have an ending its an excerpt form a book im writing lol

soccercrazy replied...
May 26, 2010 at 9:03 am
oh, ok! well its great writing lol

E.LeeXxX3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 9:50 am
iiiii love thisss:)

Rachel C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thankksss :) so muchhh.

Miaa:X said...
HEYY! I was there at your house when you were writingg thiss and i edited it so best be giving your editor in chief some credittt.

lmfaoo hahahha i love you mia (:

becca115 replied...

i thought i was the editor!

lol i read the whole book and fixed all ur typos remember! lol

yes i had two, u fixed it all up after i wrote a bunch more, mia fixed up the beginning

Mrs. O'B said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 7:01 am
Congratulations!  You should be very proud of yourself. Keep writing - You have great talent!

Thanks  :)!!

jenniedavies said...
RACHEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

lol :) YES YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brittanyy.Lynn.[: said...

I likee it it's REALLYY GOOODDDD:D

I think you should publish err whatever the restt I want to readd ittt<333

thankss! :) well im definatley publishing the full version when i publish it as a book lol, but for now i'll publish excerpts i guess lol idk

saramarie1836 said...
yeaa deifintely post more!

how does that work? lol do i post more in articles? im using this exerpt as the preface.

saramarie1836 said...
i REALLLLY like itt!!! :) it's greatt!! i wanna read moreeeee!!!!!!!