Reflection

On Friday morning I look in the mirror. I see a girl in an Aero hoodie and dark was boot cut jeans from the same store. The hoodie is just like the ones all of her friends have, but a different color. The jeans are dark wash and boot cut because that is fashionable, even if the girl would rather wear her faded Old Navys. Her hair is straight, all of its natural curl pressed out between two hot plates.

It takes the girl an hour to straighten her hair, an hour that she would rather spend doing other things, but she does it anyway because its cool, in, fashionable, stylish, and all of the other acceptable adjectives. The girl grabs her name brand tote and heads out the door.

The next day is Saturday. I look in the mirror again. I see a girl in a faded Minnesota Twins T-shirt and Mickey Mouse pajama pants. This is me.

imrighthereyouknow said...
can totally relate, good piece!

MissFaber said...
**identity crisis**

stargazer_lilly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really liked the idea, but you switched between saying "I" then "the girl" then back to "I" again... if you make that consistent, it's a really good piece of writing.

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 7:35 am
I was trying to make it seem like I was the girl but she was sort of looking at herself from someone else's point of view. thanks for the feedback anyway I will work on it

dominicana said...
Amazing work keep on writing

Feb. 12, 2010 at 8:35 am
thanks that means a lot

missmimmi01 said...
yeah a lot of people do what everybody elese does insted of what they want