Lines | Teen Ink

Lines

By Jordan Meredith BRONZE, Buckeye, Arizona
Jordan Meredith BRONZE, Buckeye, Arizona

We have all waited in lines and we will have many more lines to wait in the future. Whether we are waiting in line to pay for our groceries, waiting to ride on the new rollercoaster that has just opened, waiting to donate blood for the people in need or even waiting in line at a soup kitchen to get your only meal of the day. It’s not the lines that is important or even the people in but the objective at the end of the line. It doesn’t matter at that moment if you are a single mom with two small children to fed, a young and beautiful model, a senior citizen with an extraordinary past or even the man who has just lost his job and doesn’t know what to do at that moment you all have the same common goal.

The beauty of the line is that you are all equal at that moment. It doesn’t matter what color, religion, creed, education, family, or how much money you have or do not have in the bank because you are all united in obtaining the same objective at that same moment. We should all pause, recognize and appreciate what a rare opportunity this actually is. How often are we, in our society, presented with an opportunity to all be on a level playing field? In which other situations or scenarios can you think of where ones station in life does not hinder or help one’s ability to obtain one’s objective or goal? In an even rarer instance, how often can the pauper and the prince share the same goal at the same time?

The ability to appreciate the previously stated affirmations is all to often clouded by an individual’s perspective and opinion of the importance of the goal in proximity to their own agendas. While some lines may be tedious and cause stress or frustration to some because that specific individual has other pressing matters to attend to another individual in that same line may be cavalier about the wait as they have different agendas or none at all. Regardless of how an individual views their wait it does not change the objective. This is another example of what a rare circumstance waiting in a line presents. How often can a widely varied group of people with such varying perspectives on the importance of a goal not alter the end result or change the ultimate outcome of achievement of the attainment said goal.

My hope is that the next time you find yourself waiting in a line, for whatever the reason, you will stop and appreciate what it is you are actually apart of. Take a step back and look beyond the surface and the obvious and realize that even the most mundane act is capable of meaning much more. So Whether we are waiting in line to pay for our groceries, waiting to ride on the new rollercoaster that has just opened, waiting to donate blood for the people in need or even waiting in line at a soup kitchen to get your only meal of the day. It’s not the lines that is important or even the people in but it’s the common goal shared by the people in the line.