A New Chapter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The rhythmic tap-tap-tapping of her fire truck red nails against the wooden table fills the dense ­silence between us. She follows my gaze as my eyes flicker to the stack of papers between us. Slowly, the long nails gather up the documents and shuffle them.

“You've decided, then?” Her voice has a somewhat taunting quality.

“I – yes, I have.”

An exasperated sigh escapes her and she laughs without humor. “Well, I can't stop you. You're an adult now, right? Seventeen years old and you already know what's best for you.”

My anger flares and I press my fingers against the edge of the table. “And you do? You're not even my real–”

“As far as the law goes, I am.” She cuts me off in mid-sentence, knowing my next statement. “And, yes, I do know what's best for you.”

I try to swallow the guilt building in the back of my throat, but it sticks there like a lump of mashed potatoes. For a long moment, I can only stare at her. She waits ­expectantly, her thin eyebrows raised in a question. ­Finally, I clear my throat and meet her gaze with a firm expression. The less uncertain I seem, the better. She can smell weakness like a bloodhound finds food.

“In the end it's not your opinion that matters. It's mine. Next year, I am leaving with or without your ­approval. I've tried for the last 15 years to please you, Mom.” My voice rises in irritation. “I've done everything you asked. I never once went against the decisions you made for me. It would be nice if just this once, you could support me.”

Her nails continue to tap on the table. She presses her mouth into a thin line, watching me closely. To my shock, she nods. “Okay.”

“Okay?” I echo, slowly.

She uncaps a pen and begins to sign the documents. I stare, stunned into silence. I expected much worse, a raging war. I anticipated bloodshed and the exchange of harsh words, not compliance and a peaceful surrender. When she finishes signing everything, she hands the ­papers to me. Once I take them, she stands and leaves the room without another word.

Quietly, I leave the kitchen to mail the papers. In the back of my mind, I am agitated. She still managed to make me feel guilty for finally winning and moving onto my own path. I tell myself that when I finally have my answers, it will be worth it. Closing the mailbox, I put up the small red flag with a smile. The plastic flag stands like a sign of victory, a sign of the coming change in my life. I shake my head to rid myself of the guilt trip my mother gave me and go inside to begin the next chapter of my journey: finding my biological family.

blueandorange This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm:
Wonderful!

missscribbles said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:47 am:
This is really amazing! I love the details and the twist at the end!

CLC93 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm :
Thanks! :D

RiverSong said...
May 2, 2011 at 6:44 pm:
When I write, I tend to ramble.  It's nice to see someone who knows how to say things briefly, but with as much impact, if not more, than a story that goes on for pages and pages.  I also love the surprise ending.  Great job!

May 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm :
Thanks, that means a lot to me because I always worry my short stories are too brief, but anyway, thank you. :D

bubj98 said...

great writing the detais and descripsitionts made me feel  like i was there.i hope you keep writing surprising fiction and i hope to see your work in bookstores.

WritingJulia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great!  You write brief fiction greatly!

Oct. 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm :
Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

pookah22 said...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 10:04 am:
Great writing! Nice use of dialogue, and I like the unexpected ending.

Oct. 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm :
Thank you! :D

wild-free said...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 11:19 am:

This was great! I had no idea where this story was going until, obviously, the very last sentence. You are a great writer and have a lot of talent. Keep it up!

If you ever get the chance, could you take a look at my story Gone With the Sun?

Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm :
Thanks! Yeah, I sort of planned it to be a surprise at the end, but I'm glad you like it. And sure, I'll check out your article.

live4him said...
May 11, 2010 at 12:28 pm:
I love your piece. Keep it up

MessyJessie said...
May 3, 2010 at 9:25 pm:

i like this(:

read mine please.

Jenna B. said...
May 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm:
I like this a lot. You started off well by making me wonder exactly what was happening, and then I didn't expect the very end at all! haha great job :)

RonCame1993 said...
WOW! I really liked this, sis. =D

callie2893 said...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 9:12 am:
I liked this peace. It was very descriptive. I hope you will continue with it.

evrycloudyday7 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i actually really liked this. it wasnt super long (some people just go on and on. its kind of annoying cuz i feel like if i want to read a novel il go to the library, not online), and it left you with that suspenseful feeling- you want to know what's going to happen next! =) hope you continue with this!

jessi said...
this is really good. kinda wish that it was longer, so please add more! =D  you managed to cover everything well. really good descriptions too! :)

Apr. 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm :
Okay, I will add more when I have time. Thanks for the comment! =D