Absence | Teen Ink

Absence

By alilablonde BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington
alilablonde BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

The way the sun rose this morning wasn’t all right. I mean, it rose at the same time but today the world seemed different. The hazy morning glow didn’t shine through her window, instead it hid itself from the birds. The only way to know that it was there was to beacon to it, quietly at first and then louder as each ray appeared. They align in a circling pattern, casting their light on to the otherwise dark world. The darkness that loomed over this morning. The grey light cast upon the day sparked a new feeling among the morning busybodies. Suddenly, the slowed and traded their usually fast paced routine for a slower more sluggish step. The coffee pot broke, and the endless whistle of the tea kettle echoed, reminding of the lack of caffein. Her head pounded, the footsteps from above were not the light fleeting ones she was used to. They were the weight of two elephants, stomping around not taking any care of how they stepped. The old floorboard squeaked, and with that everything crashed with it. The voices, usually concerned yet hushed, took on a completely new tone. Like the sunless sky, they had nothing sweet among their syllables. Everything turned to a mumble, and she placed her white soft pillow above her head. She began to cry, letting each warm tear slip down her face and absorb into the sheets. The drops from her eyes came steadily, each one like the predicted weather; showers, with a chance of rain. Nothing about this morning was right, and nothing about this night seems good.

thank you!

casariom said...
this story is great i like how you describe how the morning was not the same as every other morning. You said things like, "The hazy morning glow did not shine through her window, instead it hid itself from the birds." This really painted a picture in my mind. I like how you described the lack of caffeine. You said, "The coffee pot broke, and the endless whistle of the tea kettle echoed, reminding of the lack of caffeine." If you think about it, that is true, allot of people`s life revolves around coffee people will not be able to get up in the morning without coffee. Allot of people could relate to this story and it is realistic, wonderful job!