Letter from the Brokenhearted

To My Beloved,

I still see you every day. I know that you no longer see me, and I have come to terms with that. But my gaze will still fall on you every so often, despite my heart’s urgent attempts to yank it away.

You did nothing wrong. I am not angry at you, though sometimes I wish I was. Maybe it would make things easier if I could simply write you off as some guy who turned out to be a terrible person. Unfortunately, I can’t do that. You are still the same sweet, caring, and wonderful man I fell in love with in the first place. The only thing that changed was your feelings toward me. You merely forgot I was there.

Maybe if you had fallen in love with someone else, I could find a better way to deal with this. I could be angry at her for stealing you away from me. Instead, I only have you to blame, and I can’t stand it. I hate being angry at you. It feels deeply wrong and out of character for me. My affections toward you are so unbelievably intense that it doesn’t feel like there should be room for bitterness... yet here I am.

I wish I had the courage to confront you. I wish I could get in your face and demand to know what happened. What did I do to deserve this? I wish I could yell at you and let out everything I’ve been wanting to say. Instead... all I want to do is throw my arms around you and kiss you until there is nothing left to say.

I still have that bracelet. You know the one, right? It was attached to my corsage from homecoming this year. Gorgeous diamond bracelet. Fake, of course, but you’d never know. I wear it every day, because it’s the last thing I have to hold onto you. There are CDs in my car that only you and I ever listened to, and I had to get rid of them. I know that if I tried to listen to them again, I couldn’t handle the fact that you weren’t there with me. Everything reminds me of you these days. I would do anything to change that, but it’s inevitable, I guess. There are ghosts of you everywhere. The park down the street from my house where we used to go for walks, the pizza place on the corner where we would always meet before our dates, even the hallways at school. They haunt me, bringing back memories and conversations and secrets and stolen kisses.

Maybe I’ll get over you. Maybe, someday, I’ll realize that I don’t need you as much as I thought I did. I’ll get to the point where I can actually breathe when I see that stunning smile of yours in class, or hear your voice across the hall.

But that day, sadly, is not today.

Until then, my hear belongs exclusively to you, and I shall continue loving you with every fiber of my being.

Sincerely,
The Brokenhearted

BrokenBree said...

There's only one think i could say because everyone did such a great job saying it for me. But Great job. Never stop writing!

alex_ruby said...
You know that part of my life only to well! Beautiful!

ShannonVictoria said...

I love the stories that you write. I always find a way to compare your stories to my life. And its not like i purposly try to compare them to my life. it just happends. I read your stories, and these things that are happening just come to my mind. And the person Narrating your storie...is kinda how i feel right now. But im slowly getting over whats happening. But i know its gonna be hard for a while. But yea. :)

Keep writing girly! :D

enigma99 replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm :

Yeah I think a lot of these are pretty relatable... (i'm not bragging lol it's just a fact) 

A few of them I actually wrote about two years ago when I was going through some stuff with this guy... 

Haha long story about that but nvm :)

So yeah. Some of them are made up, but some are very real to me.

soccermaniac519 said...
just as KerAnn said, it's like you took a glimpse of my life and put it into words. I feel that way about my ex-boyfriend. excellent job, don't stop writing :)

writer24/7/365 replied...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm :
Exactly! You and KerAnn stole the words from my lips.

KerAnn said...
Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:18 am:
Its like you wrote a piece of my life. :] Amazing job.

NadiaP said...
Heart-breaking and descriptive, absolutely beautiful.

heytheredempsey said...
the raw emotion is what makes this piece heartwrenching.