Dear Emily.

By , Monterey, TN
Dear Emily,

Have you ever been in a room full of people trying to erase the pain? I have. Numerous times. And I bet you have, too. It sounds strange, but what I'm talking about is a high school party.

One with beer of course, because aren't those the best? Maybe you haven't ever been to one. In case you haven't, I'll explain it.

The music is loud. Really, really loud. It drowns out everything around you. You can't hear anything anybody is trying to say to you, but sometimes you laugh at it because you can tell that's what your supposed to do, by the grin on their face. And you're praying to God that you did the right thing. Because almost everything depends on the fact that you did. Because you wouldn't be invited to the party if your social status wasn't high, and people with high social statuses don't do the wrong thing. And if they do, their social status drops a ton.

That's high school for you.

There is other noise besides the music. Everybody who's the least bit wasted seems to have to scream everything that's on their mind. And sometimes there's nothing on their mind, so they're just screaming. In the kitchen, everyone's cheering the people who are playing beer pong and having chugging contests on. Anywhere where there's a free space, people are cheering on kids who are hooking up- so into it, that they usually don't even notice the cheers.

And then there are the noises you don't here. There are people outside, in the nooks of the house, in abandoned bedrooms. They're having quite, soft conversations. They're making love. They're having a heart-to-heart. They're having a quiet argument. They're breaking up. They're falling apart at their seams. They're making memories, bad or good.

And there's something else you should know about high school parties. They don't ever end good. No matter how much fun you have while you're there, eventually the party is over. The point of the beer, the sex, the dancing; it's to just forget everything. It's all a distraction. But the thing is, eventually the distraction is gone, and you are left with nothing but your thoughts. And you remember better than ever before; the pain is sharp and new. And so you're left waiting for the next party; the next chance to erase your pain. But it doesn't go away. It never goes completely away. I just want you to know that.

Your friend,
Anonymous.

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked this story. It had great decriptions and teaches a good lesson.

GirlWithWings56 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was well written, but I disagree. Not all high school parties are like that. I go to a high school where your social status doesn't matter at all, and I disagree with this line especially: "You wouldn't be invited to the party if your social status wasn't high, and people with high social statuses don't do the wrong thing. And if they do, their social status drops a ton. That's high school for you." That's not high school for you, that's *your* h... (more »)