I Believe In Fairies? | Teen Ink

I Believe In Fairies?

By Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery."

Sarah was one of the prettiest girls I knew. She was part Japanese, part white. Her eyes were big, and slightly slanted. She had long, curly black hair, and a tiny waist. She lived down the block from me, and would sometimes come over to play. She was a year older than me, but that still felt like a lot. She would always want to pretend we were characters from Peter Pan, and sometimes, she would read to me from the book. It was her favorite book. She always said, “One day, I'm going to go to Neverland. I'm not going to have a mean daddy anymore who screams all day.” She would talk about the fairies a lot too. How they were so beautiful, but you have to believe to keep them alive.

Then one day, one of her luscious black locks fell from her head. Daddy said she was sick. I remember during the summer, she would always play her cello and it would echo through the neighborhood, the most beautiful sound flowing through the warm air. Even as each lock of hair fell, and the shadows under her eyes got dark, and she slowly turn so thin she was like a ghost, she would still play. After a while, she wouldn't play as much, and she would never come over. Not long after that, I went outside one day, and it was silent. Daddy said she went to heaven. I think she went to Neverland.

Some nights, when I think of Sarah and Peter Pan and cello playing and I'm all tucked in and safe in bed, I stare out my window at the soft glow shining down from the streetlamp, and sadly whisper, “I do believe in fairies...I do...I do...”

BalletGirl98 said...
BalletGirl98, Idabel, Oklahoma

The heart of the dance is the heart of the dancer.
~ Ghazallah al-Badriyyah

This is very good! I could imagine the story in my head!

Jennax3 SILVER said...
Jennax3 SILVER, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Aww, this is so beautiful. The cello part is so touching... I can hear the deep melody soaring through the air. Wow... excellent job ;]

tor10jax GOLD said...
on Aug. 21 2009 at 4:41 am
tor10jax GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
Oh...my...G-d...I love this piece. I love the beggining (the way it started got my attention), I love the middle (how you gave the reader an idea of Sarah's personality and her dream), and I love the end (the chanting).

Keep writing!

Joanna said...
Joanna, St. Catharines, Other
Oh, I do know exactly what you mean, my friend. It's like when you see those extraordinary women who are battling cancer. They seem so wonderfully alive, even while they're dying. It's ironic and kind of sad that we need something so drastic to realize that we just shouldn't care about some things so much.

I like talking to you, but it's difficult on here. Would you like my e-mail address?

Genevieve BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Thank you a lot you guys (= This one probably meant the most to me.

GoldenD BRONZE said...
GoldenD BRONZE, Livingston, New Jersey
I think it's great how you ended it like in the movies how they always say "I do beleive in fairies! I do! I do!" I love how your character thinks and believes she went to neverland and doesn't realize how sick her friend is. I usually comment on poetry, but you gave joanna spectacular comments, so I figured your work would be amazing. Your story is the first on teenink that I commented on that isn't poetry.

SilverDawn GOLD, Burnaby, Other
Emotional, descriptive, and captivating. I love the way you ended it too! keep writing (:

Joanna said...
Joanna, St. Catharines, Other
This is beautiful. Absoluetly beautiful. I have nothing else to say.

oh that is such a sad story! but its so beautiful! i really like it :D keep writing