Suessical Murders - opening scene | Teen Ink

Suessical Murders - opening scene

By Rebecca Shaw BRONZE, Rockville, Maryland
Rebecca Shaw BRONZE, Rockville, Maryland

Scene 1
Fade in:
INT. A elementary school classroom
Seven and eight year olds are sitting at their desks with a copy of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss open. A teacher in her early twenties stands at the front of the classroom.

Ms. Sweeney-
(reading out of the book) “I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam –I –am…” Well tomorrow we will see how Sam shows the greatness of the green eggs and ham. Who would like to share their drawing of the green eggs and ham? Yes Billy come up to the front of the room.

Billy-
Well I used blue instead of green for the eggs and ham since green is my least favorite color. At home we eat lots of eggs and ham. Usually the ham is red while the eggs are yellow and not green or blue but I thought it would look pretty.

Ms. Sweeney-
That is a very pretty picture Billy. Now let’s put our book away children and start some math. Wait Julian – what are you doing? Stop writing in the book! Put it away please. Julian stop it!
Cuts to a little boy whose desk is cluttered with papers and many colored pans. His book is open and he is intensely and rapidly writing in it.
CU- He slowly glares up to Ms. Sweeney.
Julian-
There is a code inside of this book Ms. Sweeney. I can’t help that I see codes everywhere but it’s true this time.
Everyone in class begins laughing. Cut to quick shot of Billy mocking Julian by pretending to write in the book. Cut back to Ms. Sweeney.
Ms. Sweeney-
Julian there is nothing in Green Eggs and Ham that suggests a code. Please put the colored pens away.
Julian-
(running to front of room with book)It’s true, Ms. Sweeney! Look at the sentence you just read. If you take a few of the words out of the sentence then it is saying “I do not like them anywhere. I do not like Sam.” You see it’s a code. It’s a code about killing a man named Sam and his friends. Its true. Last week a man named Sam died in New York City by someone who did not like him!
Billy-
Plenty of people are named Sam and die in the city , stupid.
Ms. Sweeney -
Billy, do not call people names. Julian--—you cannot continue trying to find codes in everything we do in school. First it was in science, now reading, next you try to find codes in math. Speaking of math, everyone needs to do the fraction worksheet for homework. Julian here is a note I would like you to give to your parents.
Bell rings.
Good bye children. Have a great afternoon.
Children -
Goodbye Ms. Sweeney.
Julian gets up to leave. He is outside the classroom next rather short boy with huge glasses.
Steven-
Hi Julian. I am sorry Ms. Sweeney did not believe you again.
Julian-
Ah it’s ok Steve.
They walk in silence. Julian has a notebook in his hand and Steven is clutching on to a GI Joe doll. They reach their respective houses in a few minutes.
Steven-
See you tomorrow Julian.
Julian-
What? Oh, see you tomorrow.
As Julian opens the door yelling can be heard.
INT- Stuarts House- Kitchen
Mrs. Stuart-
YOU ARE ALWAYS WORKING ON WHO KNOWS WHAT, YOU HAVE NEVER HAVE ANY TIME TO BE WITH ME OR JULIAN. HONESTLY HOW MUCH WORK CAN YOU HAVE- YOU ARE A FREAKING TAX CONSULTANT.
Mr. Stuart-
WELL IT’S NOT LIKE YOU ARE TAKING TIME OFF EDITING FASHION MAGAZINES, SALLY, OR WHATEVER YOU DO…oh, hey Julian how was your day today.
Julian-
Ok. Ms. Sweeney gave me a note to give you both. I am going to go up to my room.
Mrs. Stuart-
Are you sure you don’t want to eat anything honey? Some milk or cookies?
Julian
No thanks mommy. See you at dinner.
Julian leaves. Mr. and Mrs. Stuart look at each other. And leave the room to do their separate work assignments in separate rooms. Ms. Sweeney’s note remains untouched.

This is the opening scene of a screenplay I am writing about a young boy who breaks a code given to a spy agency.