My short Story | Teen Ink

My short Story

By nathan__rego BRONZE, Barrington, Rhode Island
nathan__rego BRONZE, Barrington, Rhode Island

“Come on, let's go,” I said, calling my son over to the car from school. “We need to get home quick so we have time before you have to go to baseball.” I begin to drive along towards the apartment. “How was school?”

“Ok.” He sighs. 

“What's wrong? You don’t seem right,” I say.

“Nothing Mom! Nothing is wrong!” 

“Ok son!” As I drive down the street I see all of the beautiful scenery in New York City. Tall buildings, beautiful parks, cityscapes, we have it all. But this isn’t where I live. I live in a bad area. 

I didn’t know what I wanted to do with myself throughout my childhood, leaving me blind out of high school. I stayed with my parents out of high school barely passing. It wasn’t until my parents kicked me out that I realized I had nothing. No degree, still no thoughts on what I wanted to do with my life. I spiraled into addiction traveling with groups of addicts across the country. It wasn’t until I became pregnant that I realized, as much as it scared me, to make a change in my life. Now I work two jobs to give my son the best life I can give him and make sure he has everything together so that he will end up successful in life and more importantly just happy. *HONK* the car behind me honked. I looked up and realized that I was too caught up in my head and forgot what was going on. I speed along and pull into the parking lot of my apartment. We get out of the car and begin to walk in. I walk up the steps, through the door, and up the flights of stairs to my door. On the door I see a piece of paper. From a distance I can see the large text saying “EVICTED” on it. I walk over tear it off and begin to angrily struggle to unlock the door. I am in disbelief. I finally unlock the door and rush in. I immediately throw the notice out. I begin to get light headed. I am in a great position where I live. The rent is great for NYC and it is impossible to get a new spot anywhere in the city never mind one that is a good price.

“What’s wrong mom.” 

“Nothing,” I said trying to reassure myself. “C’mon get ready,” I said. He ran off to get himself ready. I sit down and start checking my phone …

“Mom. Mom.” 

“Did I fall asleep?” 

“Yes mom we need to leave so I can get to baseball on time.” I can’t believe I fell asleep like that. I have been so tired lately from being stressed out all the time. 

“Alright, lets go.” I get up and start walking towards the door. I open it and we begin to walk down the flights of stairs to the entrance of the building.

“Mom, remember earlier when you asked me what was wrong and I said no?”

“Yes.” 

“Well there was something wrong, I just didn't want to talk about it. I got into a fight with this kid in the bathroom and I have bruises on my stomach but I didn't want to tell you because I thought you would be worried.”

“Are these kids bullying you?”

“I thought they were my friends but they started picking on me and I don’t know why.” 

“Just stop talking to them and hopefully they will stop. If they don’t let me know.”  We get into the car and I start it up and begin to drive off towards the field. 

It's a long ride with the NYC traffic. And there is a lot of it. If I tried to put all of the time I drive in a month together it would probably be another job on top of the two I already have. But my son is only 10 so I still have a while of karting around left. 

“Here we are,” I said.

“See you soon, mom.”

“Bye.”

Now I sit and wait for his practice in the parking lot. This gives me time to think. Its me time … 

“Hey mom.”

“Hey bud. How was it?”

“Good.”

“Alright let's head home.” 

Once we get into the house I take my shoes off and begin to settle him in. “Go shower before bed,” I said.

“Okay.”

Once he gets out of the shower I put him to bed and I go to bed myself. I fall asleep almost immediately … 

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*. I sprung up and went to open the door. It was a man. He was wearing a suit and looked aggravated. 

“Hi, how can I help you,” I said.

“How can you help ME!” he said. “I own this building and this entire block. I asked my manager to have everyone out and for this building to be packed up today to be ready for the buyers to see it.”

My heart sunk. The eviction paper. I had totally forgotten as I had gotten caught up in the moment. 

“Sir. I just got that paper yesterday,” I said.

“Miss. That was the final notice paper. We have been putting eviction papers out for the past two months.”

My heart sank even more. I have been so busy and so caught up in everything that I have been throwing away eviction papers and forgetting about them for the past two months. 

“Miss. Please call movers. Or I will,” he said. 

Now what. Where am I supposed to go. This guy he doesn’t understand. He is just rich. He doesn’t know what it’s like to work hard day and night for what you have and… he began to speak.

“Listen. I can see by the look on your face you are scared and don’t know what you are going to do next. By what the papers say you have a son. And you haven’t missed one payment. I can see you work hard for what you have. I have been there too. I grew up very poor. But I worked very hard and diligently. I always made sure to persevere. I have a friend who owns a building that has a space left. I will have you moved in there. Same rent.”

I was astonished. One minute ago this man was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. I assumed that he came from riches and that he would do anything or rip off anyone for a quarter. I was wrong. He is now offering me a new place to stay for nothing in return.

“Now,”he said. “Let me call the movers and get you to your new home.”

I embraced him. “Thank you so much,”I said. 

From this I have learned that it is wrong to assume about anyone. I have learned that I am better off looking at someone for who they are and their experiences with me rather than who I think they are right off the bat or what I have heard about them. This man has given me a new opportunity at a new outlook on life. I am grateful.

This is a story of the struggle of a single mother in NYC.