Lost At Cabos | Teen Ink

Lost At Cabos

By RoselynSanchez BRONZE, Sacramento, California
RoselynSanchez BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“My name is Adella Rodrìguez, Im 13 years old, and I live with my grandmother Alma and my 2-year-old brother Kako.” Is what I told the officer.

I live in Los Cabos one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico. In 2017 there was a total of 365 homicides just in my area of the city alone. It's gotten so bad that the police are scared to drive in our neighborhood at night. I and my grandma teach Kako how to pray at night so God could protect us through the week. I constantly ask my grandma if we can move and she just tells me that this is home. But how is it home if everyone is getting murdered and dealt drugs on the street we live on. 

One day I was heading to school and walked past 2 men fighting and arguing I quickly knew what was gonna happen so I started running as fast as I could panting with my backpack nearly falling off my shoulders. Then right behind me I heard two gunshots and screaming right behind me. I started crying running back to my house. When I got home crying and breathing heavily I told my grandma what happened she agreed to tell me why we can't move. She started sobbing a little terrified to tell me why we couldn't move. After a few minutes, she finally told me we needed to wait a long time to get a green card to cross the US border. 

When I heard that I was brought to tears on the floor crying as hard as I could. I kept crying and thinking Why can't I, my grandma, and Keko just live a normal happy safe life without having to be in fear of getting killed or attacked? Put yourself in my shoes and feel the pain my family felt on this day. If you were in my situation how would you feel?

I believe if you want to live in a new area to feel safe you should.