Elevator Delivery | Teen Ink

Elevator Delivery

I placed my hand on the door handle and pulled the door open, sending a rush of cold air towards me.
Rhode Island Hospital is always kept pretty cool in the summer so that our patients don't overheat. Well... not my patients for long. Today was the day I decided I was going to quit my job.Don’t get me wrong, I love my patients, but the constant pressures of being a nurse at the hospital were catching up to me. You see, when I was younger, all I wanted to do was work at a hospital. While most kids wanted nothing to do with the doctor’s office, I would always get so excited before my checkups. Whenever the doctor brought out a tool I would ask her what's it for and if I could try and use it myself. However, my doctor would usually say something like “Eleanor, you would make a great doctor!” Instead of actually letting me use the tools. Well anyway, my point is, I would have never imagined myself quitting the job I have aspired to possess for as long as I can remember.
“You’re too sensitive, Eleanor” is what most of my friends at the hospital always tell me. Even though I'm already 28, I’m still shaken when someone insults me. I know sometimes it’s just a joke, but I don’t like jokes. Do they even serve a purpose? My boss likes to make a lot of them. I guess he figures they might help keep us relaxed.
After taking a few calm breathes I removed my hand from the handle and planted my feet inside the building. Making my way through the hospital, I filled my lungs with the smells of disinfectant and sickness. I sure wouldn’t be missing these.
Displayed on the walls leading to the elevator were different arrays of sea creatures painted mainly blue and green with a shimmery overcoat. They were there to make the hospital seem more friendly to any patients who might be scared or frightened.
I made my way to the elevator. As I pressed the button for floor three, where my boss’s office was, I began to prepare myself.
Once the elevator opened, my body stopped trembling and I was filled with joy.
“Oh my goodness, how are you Melody? It feels like I haven’t seen you in forever,” I exclaimed.
“I'm doing great! I’m so glad to see you. Alex and I are here for a little check in.”
Melody looks so different, I thought to myself. She stood smiling at me with her long blonde hair tied up into a bun and beautiful sundress on. The sandals on her feet had white braided straps and her toes were painted teal with white flowered designs.
Throughout highschool, Melody and I were quite the outcasts. I was pretty tall, and still am. I always wore my dirty blonde long hair in pig tail braids. For some reason, I thought they complimented my hot pink glasses.
As I leaned into hug Melody, I felt her stomach push against mine. Looking down, I noticed her baby bump!
“No way! When is your baby due?” I exclaimed cheerfully.
“About two weeks! Alex and I are here for a final check in!”
“Wow, that is so soon! Keep me updated!” I replied.
I noticed the figure standing behind Melody. He was dressed in a plain green T-shirt and blue jeans. He was pretty tall and had a somewhat slim figure.
He began to introduce himself, “I’m Alex, Melody’s husband, You are…?”
“I’m Eleanor, Melody and I have been best friends since kindergarten! When we went off to college we lost contact, but I’m so glad…”
BANG! The elevator came to an abrupt stop causing the man in the corner to be swept off his feet as he came crashing down onto the red carpeted floor. His lipids protruded from his body. He adjusted his hat and brushed off his large white T-shirt that looked as though it was getting a bit too small.
I ran over to him and offered him a hand, “Are you alright, sir?”
“Yeah don't you worry about me.” he said as he brushed himself off and stumbled onto his feet.
“The names Brian, and you are…?”
“Eleanor Levins,” I responded.
Soon after I quickly shouted “Is everyone ok?”
I looked around the elevator. Everyone was bracing themselves against the grey and somewhat reflective walls. Looks of terror were expressed on everyones’ faces.
“I’m alright,” said the man in the far right corner, wearing a white polo shirt and blue khaki bottoms. My nose picked up the scent that came from the cheese on the pizza that laid resting in his hands. His shoulder length, blonde hair was combed back with hair gel. I noticed the name tag resting below his right shoulder, it read Kyle.
Out of nowhere, the buttons on the elevator began to flash and beep! I frantically pressed the emergency call button but no one answered. I kept on pressing it over and over again, but still no response.
“Does anyone have a phone on hand!?” I urged, but received no reply.
After a few moments, we all started to realize help wouldn’t be coming anytime soon.
Alex made his way to the corner, hissing and scolding at anyone who dared come within one foot of his proximity.
“It’s going to be ok. It’s going to be ok.” Melody panicked as she rubbed her stomach in a fast circular motions.
Kyle decided to turn facing the wall and started to, what it looked like, whisper to himself.
He whispered, “I’m so sorry sir, your pizza is going to be late. There has been a bit of a set back but I'm sure…”
Alex sprung up out of the corner and ran up to Kyle, ripping the phone out of his hand.
“You have a phone!” Alex yelled as he began to dial 911 only to watch the screen of Kyle’s phone turn to black.
Alex responded, “Umm, well you see, I wanted to use the last percent of my phone battery to make sure my customer knew I would not be able to…”
“Now we are not going to be able to get out of here!” Alex interrupted as he secluded himself back into the corner.
“How about we all take a deep breathe,” Brian remarked with all eyes glued on him, “since we are going to be here for a while, why don't we all get to know each other and have some pizza?”
After an awkward moment of silence, Brian cleared his throat and said. “I’m Brian. I’m 30 years old and my favorite food is pizza.” He winked at Kyle and continued, “I was at the hospital today to visit my brother John. He is struggling with diabetes. It runs in the family I guess.”
Before anyone could comment, Brain lost his balance out of what seemed like nowhere, and fell backwards into Alex.
“I think I have gotten to know you far too well Brain!” Alex spat as he shoved Brain away.
Brian tried to get back up but he couldn’t. That’s when I decided to step in and kneel down on the ground next to Brian.
“Brian are you alright?” I questioned.
“Yeah I feel a little light headed. I haven’t eaten since this morning.”
I knew Brain needed something to eat, and fast. His face was turning quite pale. His eyes could not focus on me.
“Kyle we need the pizza” I ordered.
After a moment of no response I spat, “Now!”
Reluctantly, Kyle walked over and handed me the pizza. After I handed Brain a piece, Melody and Alex came over for a piece too.
After a little while, Kyle reluctantly came over, sat down, and joined us.
Once again, Alex started to panic. “What are we going to do? The Emergency call button won’t work, no one has a phone, and if I have to spend one more minute in this elevator so help me…”

My name is Laura, I am 14 years old and currently a freshman in high school. I was assighned to write a short story and this is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy! :)