Arrows | Teen Ink

Arrows

By ethanstephan SILVER, Novato, California
ethanstephan SILVER, Novato, California

"Ay, there's the rub." -Hamlet

Beneath the moon we laid our packs, bows, and quivers, each content with their fill of arrows. When the kettles had been cleaned and the bundles unfurled over the grass, we took our bows and arrows and walked ourselves to the cliff’s edge. There we gazed over the scheming woods and spanning meadows until our eyes were met with the horizon and the moonlit sky. As the others breathed in the wind and basked in the refreshing calm of the night, I carefully slid a single arrow from the quiver and knocked it into the rest of my bow. With relative ease I drew back the string and held as I aimed out into the night. In a flash I let loose the arrow and watched as it flitted over the sky and twinkled into the cavernous black of the trees. 

Following my shot came two or three more that arched over and down and in time rained a volley of arrows too. Each shot becoming more and more careless than the last. It wasn’t long until our quivers were left empty and by then we’d had our fill of shooting. Fat from enjoyment, we returned to the camp to find a hulking hairy beast ravaging the bundles and tearing into the food. Ignorant to our presence, it persisted in its rampage. 

Dumbfounded, we stepped back with the same caution exercised in our first shots. When we’d removed ourselves from the grizzly’s newly claimed domain, we hastily scratched and tore at our quivers for arrows to find only a single one left. Arrogant as I was, I snatched the arrow and knocked it into the bow. In order to ensure my safety I gave my approach no levity and only allowed myself to step forth 2 to 3 paces. With all my might I pulled back the string and flung the arrow at the beast, striking a kettle through and spattering boiled water at the grizzly’s foot. 

Upon impact, it pulled itself up to the sky and roared with the entirety of its being into the night. Then, as I edged closer, it collapsed onto its feet and glared at me. There I froze by its vengeful gaze and in fear I awaited consequence by the bear. But it turned away and carumphed back into the black of the woods, leaving his vengeance torn across the grass.

A small flash-fictiony piece I wrote a few months back.