If I Had Only Known | Teen Ink

If I Had Only Known

March 18, 2019
By Anonymous

That night began as a casual night out with my friends, myself being the unlucky designated driver. We got to the bar and immediately all my friends began to drink too much too soon. Of course, my friends start egging me on, telling me to just have a sip. So, I give in, like I never have before. I have just one drink and then I back off. But of course, I want more. One thing led to another and I’m just as plastered as all of my friends. Who was going to drive us home? We were too drunk to think of an Uber and way too far out of town to call a cab. Unfortunately, I resumed my duties as the designated driver. We had not been on the road very long before we crashed. I had not noticed the way we carelessly slipped into the oncoming traffic, clipping a car containing a family of four. The mother wearing her seatbelt survived with a few minor injuries, but she was the only one. If I had only known what that amount of alcohol, let alone any alcohol at all, would do to my brain. I would have never driven home that night if I could have truly understood the changes that my brain went through. Loss of coordination and poor decision-making kick in. The world begins to spin, and you lose all control. If only I had known not to drink and drive. I would not know where to begin if I had to speak to that poor mother who lost her spouse and children because of my simple mistake. The catastrophic events that were set into motion the very moment I pressed my lips to the glass. I could never face her. I had not the ability to make a better decision than the one I made, and that is where the fault lies. If only I had known.