Kelly's Journal | Teen Ink

Kelly's Journal

April 9, 2009
By Amy McDaniel BRONZE, Cypress, California
Amy McDaniel BRONZE, Cypress, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Thursday, April 18, 2014

Dear Diary,

Ahhh!!! It’s finally spring break! I can’t wait for Easter this Sunday.

School was good today, pretty easy I guess… I had a math test and a science test and the rest of my classes were pretty laid back since we aren’t gonna be back at school for awhile. I only have one project to do over break and it is to make a map of Idaho. Dad says he is going to help me every day before going to the diner. It was funny cuz right when I told mom and dad about my project mom said she will help, but dad and I just looked at each other cuz we know she won’t…(she’ll end up going shopping or something).

Plus, to make today even better, we are all going out to dinner because dad got Uncle Matt to manage the diner tonight! I can’t even remember the last time we went out to dinner as a family. Well I’m off to bed… I am really tired and there is Good Friday church tomorrow, but hey—I get to sleep in tomorrow!

Peace out,

Kelly







Tuesday April 29, 2014

Dear Diary,

School was more annoying today, yesterday we were just kinda getting back into the swing of things, recovering from Easter break. My science teacher said we have a test coming up, and since science isn’t my favorite thing, I wasn’t too happy.

Rachel is having her birthday party this Saturday and I still haven’t gotten her gift yet, so mom says we can go tomorrow after school. She says she had to grade math tests tonight because she promised her students that she would give them back tomorrow.

Love,

Kelly

Wednesday April 30, 2014

Dear Diary,

Just now, I over heard mom telling dad she got a pink slip from the school board. She told him that she is one out of fifty-three teachers receiving one. I am kind of nervous because last year my teacher got a pink slip and didn’t return this year. I just hate that mom hasn’t told me yet… why is she telling dad in secret?!! It feels like she thinks I am just a child… I am twelve years old; I am not a child anymore! Ughh, hopefully it’s nothing, mom has been working there for eight years, I am sure her job is safe.

BUT… if it were safe, why wouldn’t she tell me? Man oh man, I hope she tells me soon.

Night night,

Kelly

Friday June 6, 2014

Dear Diary,

Today was a crappy day. Mom got final notice that she will not be “needed” to teach seventh grade math at the school next year. So, after school, I had to help her pack boxes in her classroom cuz the last day of school is on Tuesday, and she has to be fully moved out by Tuesday also. I don’t know what we are gonna do. Mom and dad keep saying that we will be fine because we have the diner, but she won’t stop crying- if everything is going to be fine, why is she crying? I am scared because Tommy told me that his mom got laid off too (she works at the preschool) and they are moving to Utah because they said it is cheaper to live there.

I just don’t get it. The news has been saying we are in an economic depression for 5 years now, but we have always been fine! The only big thing that has happened is that Ralphs went out of business two months ago, but who cares about Ralphs? Why is this happening all of a sudden? Why to my mom?

God please help us,

Kelly







Monday, June 30, 2014

Dear Diary,

So earlier this year, the plan for summer vacation was jet skies and house boat in Lake Havasu (Awesome-- right?). But ever since mom got laid off, she hasn’t been able to find another teaching job and she is picking up shifts at the diner…(and let’s just say that isn’t enough money to pay for our trip). But… mom and dad say we will still find something fun to do for vacation, but I haven’t heard anyone talk seriously about it, so I’ll believe it when it happens. And now it seems like lately we are never together unless dad has me work at the diner too. It’s disgusting, he has me cleaning plates. Why can’t I be a waitress and work some tips?

Every Monday afternoon, at our lunch break, mom and I go visit Nanna at the nursing home. I gotta tell ya her Alzheimer’s is getting worse every time I see her. Today she thought I was mom… it was kind of funny cuz she kept calling me Sally, until I saw mom peeking through the door and saw tears coming from her eyes. I told Nanna I needed something to drink and just ran and gave mom a hug. I don’t blame her for crying, her own mother doesn’t even realize that her daughter is all grown up. Nanna usually remembers both of us really well; she usually only asks where papa is. And mom always nicely reminds her that papa died 2 years ago.

I really do hope I don’t have Alzheimer’s when I am old. It is so hard on my mom (I wouldn’t want anyone close to me to have to deal with this pain). But anyways, mom and dad asked me what I thought if Nanna were to come and live with us because Nanna’s insurance doesn’t cover the nursing home anymore. I said okay but Abby was so excited to hear it; she started saying “I love Nanna! I love Nanna!” Mom was sayin it will be better to have Nanna close by to help her and then maybe she could take care of Abby. Then mom could work full time at the diner and then we wouldn’t have to pay for child care. All I gotta say, is that I am not moving out of my room, so Nanna is gonna have to share a room with Abby.

Adios amigo,

Kelly















Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Today I woke up finding mom throwing up in the toilet. She says she has “some bug”. I really hope I don’t get it; I hate throwing up.

But since mom couldn’t go to work, I got to be the “substitute” waitress as dad calls it. It was fun but dad told me all the tips I receive goes to buying groceries. I was so disappointed. But anything is better than washing dishes.

Goodnight,

Kelly


Friday, August 15, 2014

Dear Diary,

Mom is still throwing up like crazy, so she went to the doctors and she is seven weeks pregnant! I am so excited!! I could tell mom was really happy, she even told me I get to help pick out the names for the baby! Dad seemed happy, but he wasn’t jumping up and down like the rest of us. The doctor says she can work for a couple more months but then she is going to have to take it easy. So you know what that means!!! I get to be the long term substitute waitress when my mom gets put on bed rest!! Oh yeah! My dad says that I am getting too excited because it won’t be for awhile, but I don’t care, I am still very excited.

Love,

Kelly


Monday, August 18, 2014

Dear Diary,

Just right now, as I was heading to bed, I heard dad talking about how hard it is going to be with the new baby, He was all like—“We barley have enough money to feed Kel and Abby! I don’t know how we can keep it.”

I just can’t believe it! Does this mean they are thinking about getting rid of the baby? Mom has always taught me that is murder.

Dear God, please help mom and dad and the baby,

Kelly













Thursday, September 11, 2014

Dear Diary,

Well today was my first day of school as a seventh grader. The worst part about it was mom and dad said we don’t have enough money for me to buy a backpack, so I had to use last years. There are tears on the bottom and one tiny hole on the top. I felt really bad when I saw all the other girls with their new Jansport backpacks. But dad told me material things aren’t important (and I guess he’s right, but I still want one). It’s kind of weird cuz there are 52 kids in my class! It’s crazy. My teacher told us today it will take her awhile to memorize our names. Mom and dad say there are so many kids because of all the budget cuts the school had to make. My teacher is really nice, but we got math homework on the first day of school!! (what’s up with that?).

Mom decided that she is going to start staying home next Monday because she doesn’t want to leave Abby alone with Nanna all day. So dad told me I am going to have to take mom’s spot now. I will go to the diner right after school and stay till 9 starting Monday.

Cheers!

Kelly






November 3, 2014

Dear Diary,

I am not sure how to tell mom and dad this, but I think I failed my science test. I mean, I am at the restaurant all the time, and I barely get enough sleep after I do my homework. So basically what I am saying is I didn’t have enough time to study for my science test and it was obvious today. But what do I say? Because I know that if I tell them, they will have me stop working so late—but they need me to work the hours I do. I just don’t know.

But on a lighter note, mom is starting to show!! She says she hasn’t felt any kicking, but she says it should start any time now. Wahoo!!

Love,

Kelly











November 20, 2014

Dear Diary,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! This year’s Thanksgiving was different from all the others. We didn’t eat at home, we all went and worked at the restaurant. But, only two elderly people came, so we all sat with them at the big table in the back and ate thanksgiving dinner together. It was really fun. I had a cheeseburger, Abby had chicken fingers, and mom and dad and Nanna had the “Thanksgiving Special.” Dad said grace, and then we all went around the table and said what we were Thankful for (dad kept saying how great it is just to be able to eat today, where as some people don’t even have money to buy food)… I think it might have been the best Thanksgiving ever.

Counting my blessings,

Kelly

December 12, 2014

Dear Diary,

Nanna died a few days ago, and today we had her funeral. It’s been really tough because mom and dad couldn’t find the money for a burial, but Pastor Jones, had some connections with a mortuary. So, we had Nanna cremated and then buried her ashes. Mom has just been crying all the time (I think she really wanted Nanna to be there when the baby was born). I am sad too, and it’s really hard explaining Nanna’s death to Abby.

Love you Nanna,

Kelly

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dear Diary,

Dad’s thinking he is going to have to sell the diner, and just get as much money for it as he can. I was freaking out because if he sells the diner, mom and dad both now have no jobs. How is that going to work? But they keep saying “God will provide—he always does.” And I guess I believe that, but it is really hard to—you know? I mean dad is a good man. Why is this happening to him?

Mom found out yesterday that the baby is a boy! (That’s what I wanted!!) So we all decided on the name: Robert Conner. I am gonna call him Bobby. I can’t wait till he comes! He is due April 2nd! It seems like it has been forever, and now it’s so close!

Goodnight,

Kelly










Friday, March 20, 2015

Dear Diary,

Tonight was the last night working at the diner. We are packing up everything tomorrow. Dad finally got a decent bid on the restaurant, so we all knew it was meant to be. Mom only has a few weeks till she is due. She can barley move around. She has gotten so big….haha. She keeps saying that she can’t wait to lose some weight. I think she will be fine once the baby comes out. (Mom is just too self conscious.) I think the plan is that we are looking for a cheaper place to live and sell our home. I am not sure where yet, mom and dad say they want to have the baby here, and then move. I am going to miss all of my friends out here, but to be honest, ever since I have been working at the diner, it seems like I don’t really have that good of relationships with them anymore. I am closer with the other waitresses more than anyone else now. So I am excited for the move, but sad at the same time. I know mom and dad can’t really afford to live in California anymore. So it’s all for the best.

Love,

Kelly







Sunday, April 6, 2015

Dear Diary,

Mom just left to go to the hospital! She said she was having a lot of contractions and thinks the baby is coming!! Dad and mom thought it would be best not to wake up Abby, so I am staying home with her. But dad says right when the baby is born we can come and see little Bobby. I can’t wait to see him!! The phone is ringing…. it might be dad. Got to go!

Goodnight,

Kelly


Monday, April 7, 2015

Dear Diary,

Bobby is finally here!! He is so precious. I just love him to death. Now that mom’s all good, we have decided to move to Oklahoma. Mom and dad sold the house here and we are moving the day after school gets out. All of our boxes are packed except our clothes and a few pots and pans. They told me that California homes sell for a lot more than Oklahoma homes, so they said the house they bought over the internet is a lot bigger and cheaper than the one we have now. And mom has a friend there that told her she can tutor some kids there for some cash until mom and dad find jobs. Mom and dad said that it will be hard to find jobs right now, but that they have it all planed out with the money they got from the diner and the house.

Goodnight,

Kelly

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Dear Diary,

Today was the last day of school! It was a lot of fun. We went around the room talking about what we are all going to do for vacation, and I said “I’m not going on vacation but I am moving into a huge house!!” If there were a prize to who had the best thing to say, I would definitely win. I gave all my teachers and friends a hug and then after school, dad drove me over to what the diner used to be (now it’s a real-estate office) and we said our final goodbye. We rented one U-Haul for moving and dad’s uncle also came down and is going to help us move to Oklahoma. It’s good to have family. With mom taking care of Bobby, it’s pretty much dad who is doing all the heavy lifting and with Great Uncle John here it has been really helpful.

Well I gotta go to bed. Big, big day tomorrow.

Goodnight California,

Kelly








Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Dear Diary,

I usually write at night, right before bed, but it’s a long drive to Oklahoma. I think this move is really good for our family. It’s a new start, Bobby is here and Abby is starting kindergarten. Mom and dad both have friends from college that live there that are really nice, I think we are gonna be able to forget about all of our money problems we had in Socal and focus on our new life in Oklahoma.

Mom says we have twenty more hours to go till we get to the house. boo…. oh well. I can’t wait till we get there and see my new room!!

Ta-ta for now,

Kelly


The author's comments:
Kelly’s Diary, written by Amy M., is a diary of a 12 year old girl named Kelly, who is living in Southern California during a nation wide, economic, depression. This piece of Kelly’s life reveals what a family may be like in the years 2014-2015 during a huge economic crisis. This diary is kept as the economic times get worse and really start to affect her and her family. In her diary, it shows despite their troubles, they do not lose their family values.