The Call | Teen Ink

The Call

By A_True_Ravenclaw SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
A_True_Ravenclaw SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring, I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
-Leonard Church/Epsilon

“Mr. Smith!” scorned Ms. Webb, “If you’ve finished your nap, you have a phone call from the office.”

I jumped up, startled. I knew what this call was about before I got to the phone, I’d been dreading it since the doctor gave us the news three months ago

“Th-thank you, can I have the homework?” I stammered.

“Leaving us so soon?” she asked, a modicum of concern in his voice.

“Yeah, and I probably won’t be back for a while, so if you could jus-”

“Yes Mr. Smith, I’ll have it emailed or sent home.” She told me, regaining her normal composure. “Best not keep them waiting down there.”

When I walk into the office the receptionist give me a sad, reassuring smile, I can tell whoever is on the other side of that call has no good news for me.

“Yes, here he is.” she says into the receiver, “Your parents will be here for you shortly, but first your mother wishes to speak with you. She says while handing me the phone.

I take the phone, it’s warm from where her hand was. It’s not until I have it near me ear that I realize my hands are trembling.

“He-hey mom,” I say, fumbling with the words, “Is she…”

“I talked to Dr. Kim today, he, he said something strange.” she sounded as if she’d been crying. “He said Carla is completely fine, He said that it’s as if she never had the tumor in the first place, they can’t even find it anymore.” She bursted into thick, heavy sobs.

“Isn’t that great Jake,” she said through the tears. “Your sister is gonna be ok.”

“Yes, that’s great Mom, So when can she leave the hospital?” I was on the verge of tears.

“That’s why we’re coming to get you, she’s already with us. We’re going out tonight.” she told me, still crying, but lighter.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the slightest of movement. Ignoring it, I went back to the conversation with my mom.

“Mom, I need to tell you something,” I hesitated, “I want you to know that I love you and Dad and Carla so much.”

“I know honey and we love you too, now be ready, we’re almost at your school.”

“Ok, mom, just gotta get my keys from Ms. Webb’s room.”

“Ok, see you soon.” she said.

“Yeah” I responded, my voice sounded distant, foreign.

I'd never been so happy before, it was the best phone call I'd ever gotten.