Miley: the Story of a Girl With Many Problems | Teen Ink

Miley: the Story of a Girl With Many Problems

July 16, 2018
By tchamberlin BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California
tchamberlin BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Starting with a small background, Miley lives in Old Agoura; a very rustic place to live. The homes are all like old farm houses and people even have horses and ranches there and she’s a part of a very surfer, water polo kind of family. Everyone in her family surfs and her great grandpa all the way to her brother have played water polo. She’s still young around 8, she has asthma already and heart problems: she can’t take any stimulants because they’ll stop her heart her mom just the same problem. As she grows up she developed her anxiety in middle school; it’s genetic and her OCD then finally her crippling depression. Then comes her sophomore year where she meets me a loser little freshman. I talk to her loads about everything going on in her life, life how she “tricked” her boyfriend into going out with her because “who could ever love this wreck”. Miley’s funny and very lovely, we aren’t best friends but we say a lot to each other. I try to keep her content when she’s around me and I normally do, up until I get mad about the same thing she’s mad about like us being “...’s” which in our coaches notes there were the starters, then bench then “...” and there were 3 names Miley, Vero and Gabby. This became a inside joke so anytime our coach separates us from our team to help another team instead of going over the drills or puts us in the slowest lane we just say “oh here we go again hardcore dot dot dotting” and we laugh. We laugh about the things that get us down or make us mad so we can be happy at the time. Like we joke about everything because everything is amusing around me because i'm alway laughing for no reason except I love to laugh. When we aren't laughing and joking we’re talking about how messed up something is like this girl on our team Sabrina is really rude to everyone and even bullies some of the girls and she thinks she’s just so funny, while she’s just rude and annoying and no one on the team likes her. We’re all a team though we have to be nice to her and take it, because our coaches don’t like having to kick someone off the team. We talk about these 4 girls who Sabrina is always kissing up to. Anyway that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Miley is always a bit down, an always easily distracted. And she tells me how her therapist even says to her “I’m surprised you're still a functioning member of society”. I understand it though I went through depression I have anxiety. I used to have minor OCD and I just get bored a lot and so i'm easily distracted. Now though she’s in intense therapy I guess I should’ve said everything in past tense when we were in high school. We stayed in touch which is great I love getting to visit her when she’s allowed visitors, her brother Jack is always too busy with being a lawyer, kind of like my big sister not like my big brother though he’s a race car driver and a policeman. She signed into mental and emotional rehab about two months ago i’ve seen her six times since. Only I and two other of her friends come and her boyfriend of 5 years comes in too. Sometimes me and Tyler her boyfriend come together. They can’t put her on many meds because of her heart condition. They say she'll be out in 9 months I don’t believe them like I used to not believe my orthodontist when they said I would get my braces off in 4 months but 4 months turned into 4 years. And Miley now is losing confidence, she doesn't want to die, well she does. She would never kill herself, but she wouldn’t mind dying. Just how I was in the 8th grade, just more extreme. She tells me so much of what's happening she made some buddies, there they’re about where she is and they’re all more optimistic about the outcome because they can take the meds. Her brother Jack he’ll only come if they’re going to try new medications because they need to be there to possibly restart her heart. She seems better now though she likes being around people who are feeling like her. And getting really positive visits from anxiety driven college students. Now she’s doing fine she’s getting better, her progress these past two months is still incredible and her next worry is what she’ll do when she gets out. she graduated high school two years ago. She needs to go to college. That’ll really stress her out the moment she gets out. I’ll be ready to help her find a college and everything. I guess I'll always be there for everyone like it has been forever, indeed since the 3rd grade after my two besties ‘forever’ moved away and I felt loneliness for the first time.


The author's comments:

It's semifictional...