An Unlikely Friendship | Teen Ink

An Unlikely Friendship

By evaristbego SILVER, Tirana, Other
evaristbego SILVER, Tirana, Other

The Nazis stormed in. There were only two, but it felt like a dozen. I was petrified. I couldn't move. They were wearing very serious uniforms. Their faces seemed worn out. They had luggage with them. I was sure they were going to live with us. One of them gave me a look that said: "We have to do this, or else we're screwed." I nodded, and went back to my room. I wasn't understanding anything. I was 5 anyway. The day went on and nothing really happened. The next day came along.

'Good morning!' I say with a low voice as if I was afraid of what could happen.

'Good morning!' one of them answers in a rather cold tone.

We ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, slept, woke up, repeat. That went along for a few weeks. One day after we finished breakfast, one of them came up to me.

'Hey!' he said in a innocent and playful voice. 'Do you want to go for a stroll around the city?'

I agree and we leave the house. While we were walking down the street, he asks if I wanted to hop onto his shoulders. I agree of course. It was the most amazing thing I had ever experienced. I felt like the king of the world. Time passed way too quickly. The sun was gone when we arrived home. I was extremely tired even though for the most part I was not even doing much "work". As soon as I arrived home, I went to bed. I felt different about those people after that day. I felt like I had known them for years. Days passed and I became closer and closer friends with those guys. And it seemed as if that feeling was the same for them too.

Months passed and I was the happiest child in the world. Still, my parents felt different. They were afraid of what could happen to my brother and sister, who were at war. They remained cold towards the Nazis. I was scared for my brother and sister too, but the young me thought differently. He thought that those two Nazis were the best thing that could ever happen to someone.

But, one dreadful day, the two officers seemed sad. I had never seen them like this before.

'What's wrong?' I asked one of them.

'The war is over,' he replied.

'That's a good thing, right?' I asked confused.

'Yeah, it is, but that means we have to go back,‘ the other said.

My whole world fell on me. How could that happen!? After all this time. I was confused. Couldn't they stay with us?

'Unless,' he says in a hopeful voice, 'unless you and your parents hide us.'

That felt like such a great idea, at first. But even though I was a child, I could tell that something was wrong about this. I go to my parents and I tell them what their plan was.

'That can't be done, we're sorry,' my father said.

'But, why?' I asked.

'You're old now, there are some things you should understand.' He replies, 'We can get killed if they stay with us.

Still confused, I headed back to my room.

The afternoon came along. From afar I could see big trucks with people in them. They were all in uniforms. I was sure that was the truck that was going to take the Nazis staying in my home.

One of them comes up to me, and kneels.

'Please, please I'm begging you,' he said. 'Please help us!'

'I'm afraid I can't, I'm sorry,' I replied.

'I understand,' he said while standing up.

The truck stopped in front of my house. Two grey, serious men came out of it. They didn't say anything. Neither did the Nazis that lived in my home. We hug. Nothing else. They go to the truck, and I saw one of them turning his head back. His eyes were watering.

'Thank you!' he said.

I will never forget those words.