A false journey | Teen Ink

A false journey

By worldclassxavier BRONZE, Sacramento, California
worldclassxavier BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"fbgm" - slamnham

The ships were the biggest thing me and Marcus have ever seen and the people that
got off the ships were the whitest we ever seen.Marcus is my little brother he’s 12 and im 16 i've been taking care of him ever since our parents were killed when our village was attacked 4 years ago.
“Aye michael why are those ships here?” Marcus asked me as we walked back to the village.
“I don’t know Marcus why don't you go ask em.” I answered. We both laughed at my
response as we continued to walk back to the village. As we kept walking towards the village we seen one of the white men walking towards us.
The white man approached us and waved for us to come towards him.
“Do you fellas wanna change your life forever and come with me to America you can
make  a lot of money” the white man asked. We looked at each other with amusement we had never been able to make money before but we also have never left africa.
“We'll do it” I said. Marcus gave me a weird look as the white man motioned for us to
follow him. We walked with him all the way back to the shore where we approached the big ships that they had arrived on. We followed him onto the ship where we seen many other africans being took to below the floor of the ship so we went with them.It was very crowded and it seemed like there was over 500 people down there with us.
“Y'all get comfortable it's gonna be a long ride” a white man called out from above us.
The next couple days where gruesome they barely fed us and when they did all they did was throw a bucket of food leftover food to us and make us fight for it. Also Marcus has become very ill and I don't know what is wrong with him.
“We will arrive to America tomorrow” one of the white men announced from above us.
“Marcus did you hear that?” I asked as I shook him but he didn't wake up so I
continued to shake him but he still did not wake up.
“Marcus!” I shouted but he still did not wake up and that is when I realized  that my little
brother was dead. We arrived to America the next day I sat there next to my brother’s dead body when the white men came and took us off the boat.When the white man came and grabbed me he noticed that my brother was dead and signaled for the other man to get his body and when we were getting off the ship i saw him just throw my brother’s body in the ocean and after that I seen red and rushed the man.I got a couple good blows on him before the other men pulled me off and beat the living s*** out of me.After they finished beating me I just couldn't wait to get to my job and make money.We entered a little town where they put me on a stage then I heard the white people yelling money amounts and that's when I learned I wasn't here to make money I was here to be a slave.