Government Proves Itself Capable-Rebellion Stamped Out | Teen Ink

Government Proves Itself Capable-Rebellion Stamped Out

By firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York

As the Whiskey Rebellion rages onward, President George Washington’s original ideas of avoiding military force are quickly disappearing. Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton has stated repeatedly his belief that if the government is to survive, it will have to prove itself capable of keeping control of the nation. He has advocated the use of Military force, and, until now, Washington has disagreed. Now, as talks are proving useless, he is being forced to change his mind.

On September 24, President George Washington ordered a force of 13,000 militia troops to march into Western Pennsylvania. He, himself, led them. In doing so, he has become the first United States President to lead his troops into battle. After leading the troops to Bedford, our President placed General Henry Lee, along with Hamilton, in command. Today, the troops marched into the western counties of Pennsylvania. By the time the federal, force had arrived, the rebellion had mostly collapsed and many of the rebels had fled.

President George Washington has issued a general pardon for those who took part, with the exception of 33 men who supposedly led the rebellion, were arrested. Of those who were arrested, most have been released due to a lack of evidence. Only a few of the others have been tried, and only two convicted of treason. Washington has pardoned them, perhaps out of pity, or maybe kindness. Perhaps it was a desire to prevent blame for the entire occurrence being placed on the shoulders of only two men. One man we interviewed stated firmly, “I think President George Washington remembered his own Revolutionary ideas, and perhaps realized that many of these people have many similar ideas to his - that if the government does not protect the rights of citizens, the citizens have the right to rebel.” In any case, most people feel that no one will really ever no for sure except Washington himself, and according to most citizens, he’s not about to tell.

The Federal Government has proved it could keep order, necessary for a stable government. Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton has been elated by this so-called, “triumph”. However, many people, especially
Thomas Jefferson, think that this resort to armed force is a dangerous mistake. Although only Jefferson wished to comment, he has expressed his opinion and that of several others very clearly. It has convinced them that Alexander Hamilton is a dangerous man.

Based on the real Whiskey Rebellion.