The Fall | Teen Ink

The Fall

December 29, 2016
By Gusso BRONZE, Curitiba, Other
Gusso BRONZE, Curitiba, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“If only we had held the walls they wouldn’t have entered so fast. A city burned last night when those beasts invaded” I reported to my boss. He stood quiet for a minute, thinking. “The danger isn’t at the surface.” He answered. I was confused. “Excuse me? I don’t get it”.  He looked upon me like I was an idiot, so he started explaining. “They’re just the maneuver mass, our problem is above them. If only we had accepted what they wanted before! Now it’s out of our control...”

A rushed man came upstairs. It was one of the king advisers. “Sir, they’re coming to the palace! You must leave before it’s too late. I’ve already prepared everything for you and the queen”. The King’s expression became even more angry than it was before. “Fine!” He shouted on that poor man. Probably he be kicked out from the palace and wouldn’t be allowed to come back.

The king started walking downstairs. Than, a question came into my mind. I gathered all my courage to say it. “But, my lord…  What about us? You need to provide us some way of getting out of here. Are you going to leave all of us behind?” He stopped, but didn’t mind turning around to answer. “Ha! What have you nobles done for me in all this years? Everything you ever did was cry for more privileges and money, you can die with them.”

The fine man in his fine clothes continued walking until he disappeared from my sight. “Maria! Let’s go, we are running out of time.” It was the last thing I heard Louis say.

I also fled the Tuileries Palace, which had been my home since I could remember. I got out in the last moments before they arrived. It was hard to watch those miserable people who think they have any power to enter it and steal everything as it was their right.

Some time later I heard the king couldn’t scape, he was caught on the border disguised as a farmer. Imagine the humiliation… They sent him to Paris where him and Antonieta stood for some months until they were killed.

Maybe the people was right. Maybe Louis didn’t deserved to be king, but killing him was a mistake. Well… They are killing everyone now. They say that the Concord Square has turned into an execution center and it’s gutters are constantly filled with blood. They are all savages. I wonder what made them to stay like this… Didn’t they think at how unfair it is for us? How unfair are our conditions?


The author's comments:

 This small article came from a draft in my diary during a math class at school. I'm from Brazil, so I don't have much experience writing in english but I decided to submt my story here to see what people thought about it. It's pretty obvious in the story, but I hope people will understand what historical period this is about and what is my main criticism here.

 

 I apologize if there's any errors with the punctuation or grammar that I didn't see. I have many stories that I've written in portuguese, but just a few in english.

 

 I hope you'll enjoy it!