An Old Apartment Building | Teen Ink

An Old Apartment Building

By Whisper119 SILVER, Denver, Colorado
Whisper119 SILVER, Denver, Colorado

In the day time the repetitive sounds of children’s feet hitting cement could be heard. Their laughter was almost like a drug, the moment someone heard it they simply had to listen. It was as if the children’s sharp shrieks of happiness made the world seem brighter. Their smiling faces and laughter were luring, threatening to stay and never leave. Children are vulnerable and need the most protection; yet it is funny how one’s mind has the most tranquility around laughing children.
The Giliberto’s, Amalfitano’s and the Tornetta’s all lived together in one tenement apartment. The lighting in the house was poor. The toilet did not flush. Instead they used a bucket which they dumped into the street. The sink had a constant drip to it. Long after the families had gone to sleep the “Tap…Tap…Tap” sound of water dripping into a bucket could be heard. The apartment was hot on the inside, so they slept outside on their balconies. 
At around 9:00pm Mrs. Giliberto shouted out the window, “Adalberto! Get your brother and sister and come inside.”
“But mamma.”
“NOW! Come in now! Your papa will be getting home soon.” The children trotted up the stairs like horses.
The door whooshed open, “Mamma! Adalberto tried to push me down the stairs again!” Calogera whined to her mother.
“Shut your little mouth and help me with this mattress!” Mrs. Giliberto snapped back.
“Are we going to sleep outside today mamma?” Calogera said while sliding the mattress to the balcony.
“No Calogera, it is The Amalfitano’s turn to sleep under the stars tonight.” Calogera frowned and went over to Mrs. Amalfitano, who was sitting on the couch fanning herself with her hand. Calogera patted her belly and put her ear to it. Mrs. Amalfitano smiled.
“When it comes, what will you name it?’ Calogera asked eagerly.
“Agostino if it is a boy or Annunziata if it is a girl.” Calogera continued rubbing Mrs. Amalfitano’s belly then kissed it and ran off to a corner and began playing with her rag doll. The doll was missing an eye, and its left arm had been sewn back on countless times. The doll’s dress was no longer its soft pink color, but had been worn down to a rustic brown. It made no difference to Calogera, she loved it with all her heart.
Mrs. Amalfitano slowly rose and waddled over like a penguin to the window. Her feet stuck out and her body swayed from right to left. Her belly popped out like a camel’s hump, it made a perfect semi-sphere.
“Eula, get your sisters and come inside, it is almost time for bed. Hurry the sun is going down!” She shouted with fleeing energy. The girls came in, in a hurry. They had heard stories of little kids who had been caught outside when the sun went down.
“When is papa coming home?” Eula asked with her head leaning to the right.
“Your papa had to work the night shift at the factory today. You won’t see him ‘till morning amore ”
“Your bed is ready.” Mrs. Giliberto said. “Go on girls, get to bed, I will go over in a minute.” Mrs. Amalfitano said. She gladly embraced all four of her daughters as they each came and gave her a kiss.
“When is your husband coming?” Mrs. Amalfitano asked Mrs. Torenatta.
“He should” she checked her watch, “He should be getting here any moment.”
“Oh my, why so early?”
“My husband asked for less work for the first 6 months of our marriage. He is afraid if he is away for too long, he is a sciocco  man.”
Hours later when the house was asleep and tucked away in blankets faint yelps ascended from the street. Progressively they turned into screeches, shrieks, and screams until all that could be heard was a women screaming at the top of her lungs. She screamed as if she was being murdered. “Aiuto! Aiutatemi per favore! Help! Help me please!”
Mr. Torenatta came running to the balcony. “Affrettatevi! Hurry! Get inside.” He said to The Amalfitano’s. He pulled the girls by their hands and his wife helped Mrs. Amalfitano to her feet. The women’s cries only grew louder and louder.
“AIUTO!!!” She yelled with all her strength.
“Oh no. It’s Mariella. We must help her!” Mrs. Amalfitano said in panic. 
“You will be killed if you try such a thing!!” Mrs. Torenatta said firmly, “Venire. Come, we must get inside.” She tugged Mrs. Amalfitano away from the balcony and into the apartment. Mariella continued yelling at the top of her lungs, everyone who was on their balcony rushed inside and closed the doors in a hurry. Mariella was being pulled from her hair by a man in a dark suit and hat.
“Zitto! Shut up!” Mariella continued to scream.
A few seconds later a gun shot was heard, and as something thudded to the ground there was a deathly silence. There was complete silence. It was as if the neighborhood had become mute, no noise was heard.
The next morning the children would be playing in the streets, the neighborhood would be filled with color and noise. Nevertheless, as night returned, everything would be wrapped in darkness and cowardice.

This is about an apratment complex in modern day Little Italy during the 1930's-1940's