Good Luck Carter | Teen Ink

Good Luck Carter

November 4, 1979, the US Embassy in Tehran was raided by a mob of 3,000 Iranian Revolution supporters. They had captured 52 American diplomats and citizens. The Revolts demanded to have the shah back in order to receive the U.S civilians.
Election was was coming up and Jimmy desperately tried to keep some people liking him. America began to fall apart. Civilians started to believe that America's government grew weak and they couldn't trust the man in charge. During Jimmy’s speech to the nation on the Iranian Hostage crisis, he says, “ We have been disappointed before. We will not give up on our efforts.”
It's been a long few months. The air is getting crisp, the leaves are starting to fall and the hostages are still in Iran. Still no idea on what to do about this crisis. One more year until the next election, which President Jimmy Carter will most likely lose to Ronald.
“Jim, we need a plan. We don't want to end up like Nixon or Buchanan. We want our people to look back and think, oh yeah, they made mistakes but they always resolved them, says Vice President Walter Mondale.
“I know Walt, i know,” Jimmy Replies. “I'll be back, let me make some more phone calls.”
Jimmy walks into his office, waiting for him is his wife and his servant. He sighs and says,” I don't know what to do,  can't let my people down now”. His wife goes over to him, kisses him on his head and reminds him it'll be alright in the end.
Carter picks up his phone and calls General James, the head of operation Eagle Claw.
“General J, it's Carter. Anything new?”, Carter asks.
“Yes sir. We have intellect that none of the hostages have been physically harmed, but the Iranians refuse to release them. I will keep you updated with further information.”
Before anyone can continue, Carter's phone receives another call. He picks it up and the man says,” Mr. America, I have some good news for you.”
“Its Mr. Carter, whom am i currently speaking to?” He asks.
“Alright, this is one of the students who raided Tehran. I have called to make peace. We no longer want your Americans around us, you can have them back”.
“Alright well what's the deal?”, Carter asks.
“We can gladly make a fair deal if you and your people cooperate and reach our demands”, the man says.” Jimmy suddenly respond with,” Yes, yes Sir. What are your needs?”, he asks.
“I thought you'd say that. First off we want money. A lot of it. $300,000,000 to be specific but in Iranian Rial. We want it by tomorrow morning, our time. And we also want nothing but respect from you and your country. Our last demand is that you hand back over the Shah. You understand?”
President Carter opens his eyes as wide as a deer in headlights. He is stunned that he may be able to save his people before his term runs out and Reagan enters office.
“Well hold on now, the shah is currently in critical condition and needs to seek further medical care. We will send him once he is cleared to fly, but yes, we have a deal” he responds quickly, “I will call you back as soon as i make further plans sir”.
An hour of meeting with other officials, President Carter decides to make the deal final and become a savior. Nothing but excitement was brought to the room when the announcement was made. Carter arranges plans to bring home his people.
“Congratulations Carter, I knew you would be able to figure it out before we leave,” says VP Walter Mondale.
Carter sits in his chair and looks out into the sky. He notices the crisp leaves on the ground and the chilly wind blowing around.  He says under his breath, “What a time to be alive.” Rosalynn Carter knocks. “Come in”, says Carter. She walks in with a smile across her face, Carter turns around towards her. “Im proud of you. It's been a hard past few months but you did it!”, Rosalynn says. Carter smirks and replies,” Thanks honey. Yeah it has been hard. Only a few more months until i lose all this. It's alright, I finished what i had to do and i'm proud about that.” Carter stands up straight, fixes his collar and struts out the door.
“General James, I have good news for ya’.” Carter says confidently.
“Alright let's hear it. Better be worth my time”, James responds.
“I have reached an agreement with the Iranian students. We need to pay them a boat load of money within the next 12 hours and they will send our people home.”
“Wow. Look at you Mr. President. Making moves when it counts. I'll follow up with your secretary later to discuss travel but good job, good job,” James congratulates him.
-2 Days Later-
“We are here live, witnessing the 52 hostages for the first time in 444 days. We now know that President Carter spoke with an Iranian leader earlier yesterday to finalize plans to bring home these people. We don't have much else to say but good job Carter, good job. Reporting live from Newark Airport, I am Erin Andrews and you are watching NY News.”

What inspired me to write this is this ongoing war between the US and the middle east. Learing about it and teaching yourself is very necessary when discussing this topic.