Victim | Teen Ink

Victim

By Marlen BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Marlen BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

On Thanksgiving day, George and his family were celebrating the very special occasion. Laughter and smiles were the only things that were seen and heard, as if everything was perfect, as if they were the perfect family. George loved being with his family and sharing great moments with them. He was a very caring, smart and intelligent young man. During Thanksgiving break, George helped out his community as his daily routine as well as caring for mistreated and abandoned animals. Everyday from 11a.m to 3p.m, he volunteered at his church to clean up around the neighborhood. If George saw a dog or cat in the street seeking for food, caring George would give them some sort of treat, which made if easier for the animal to survive. George had never actually thought about having a pet of his own, but at the same time he had because he sometimes felt alone. He felt alone not because of his family, but because he had no one to talk to other than them.
It was the morning before school started and George was laying in his bed thinking about all the problems he had in regards to school. He did not want to have any more dilemmas, but he was not the one that caused them. One hour later, George got up because he had to go to church as usual on Sunday mornings. George was part of the school choir because singing was his passion. He has been singing since age six. His family was part of a musical group and had major success with it. George was the main singer while his mom and sister were the backup singers. As soon as church was over, the family went to eat at their favorite restaurant while talking about the sermon the pastor had given. On their way there, George was singing his favorite song and the rest of the family were singing along with him. It was about 7p.m and George was doing some English homework he had to get done over the break. He never missed any schoolwork or homework because he wanted to receive the best scholarship he could to get into the best college of the state.
Then, the nightmare arrived. The day he was hoping would never come, the day where he had nightmares about, the day to go back to school. George enrolled in Brooklyn High in 2009. Even though George was an honest and nice young man, his peers looked at him as a toy and the laughter of the school. Everyone at school described his as “different.” He used rare clothing in comparison to the rest of the students that attended Brooklyn High, he was a “nerd,” he always carried around his favorite book with him because it helped him get more study on the topic the teachers covered, and he wore big, nerdy glasses. All teachers were nice to him, but they were not aware of the kind of environment George was living in. He had no friends, no friendships, only his book. Everyone referred to him as “the weirdo.”
Throughout Brooklyn halls, everyone messed with poor George. All the students pushed him around, made fun of his “rare” clothing, and everyone tripped him. “LEAVE ME ALONE,” shouted “the weirdo.” Books were dropped, glasses were dropped, and even George was dropped. Everyone laughing without consent that George was suffering.
Everyday that George got home, he locked himself in his room and cried his eyes out due to all the physical and mental abuse he received at school. No one knew how bad he was suffering. Three full years of being pushed, being beat, and being laughed at. He did not comment anything to his family because he felt embarrassed that he could not defend himself from anyone, that he was too weak.
George could not take it anymore. He was thinking that maybe the best option was for him to kill himself. He thought about day and night and finally, he came to a conclusion. “Maybe it is the best option,” George thought. George did not think about the consequences and the sadness he was going to leave his family with. He did not think about the actual greatness he had in him, the talents and the skills he knew. The only thing that was running through his head was how awful and cruel his peers treated him.
On a late night, a tragedy occurred. No one knew what George’s thoughts were, no one had a clue that George was going to commit suicide. Everyone in the family fully asleep unaware that in the other room, there was a body hung from the ceiling. George’s body was there, hanging.
The following morning, George’s family was eating breakfast waiting on George to get out his room and join them. George never came. His mother, Mrs. Lauren, went to go check on him to see if he was still asleep or not. To her surprise, as soon as she opened the door, she saw feet dangling. Immediately she yelled, “Why? Why George? Why?” Mrs. Lauren cried while grabbing onto George’s feet. Everyone in the family quickly rushed to the room when they heard Mrs. Lauren shout. The entire family was devastated. They were confused and destroyed, but most importantly, they were heartbroken.
The news flew like wind and not one student at Brooklyn seemed to care. They did not feel guilty at all for the death of their victim. A couple weeks passed and the students missed George’s appearance at school. Not because they felt bad about his death, but because they had no one else to bully.
Bullying is a major problem in the lives of many teenagers. Suicide is almost always committed due to bullying. Teens do it because they do not get accepted, just like George. 

I was very dedicated into writing this fiction story because there are still many teenagers at school getting bullied everyday, without others standing up for them, without them speaking up. I want the audience/readers of my piece to understand that it is not acceptable for anyone to get bullied because the effect of it can be devastating.