Remember | Teen Ink

Remember

By JoleneB SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia
JoleneB SILVER, Peachtree City, Georgia

He looked through the large glass window, and something caught his eye. A grey speck moving among the clouds seemed to be increasing size by the second. When in view he realized it was an American Airlines airplane, heading straight for him. At the moment of recognition, his boss called out his name and told him his lunch break was over and he needed to begin working again. Suddenly a feeling of sadness and fear swept through him, his arm hairs raised as he pointed towards the object speeding through the blue skies, from that moment on, everything for him went in slow motion, his boss looked in the direction of his shaking pointer finger, and yelled in a muffled, slow, voice, “Everyone to the emergency stairs, NOW!” Reality was back in motion, and although the workers first reactions were confusion, the noise of the airplane was now loud, and the danger was clear. Everyone scrambled towards the big EXIT sign close to the elevator, but it was too late. Being the first one to react, he arrived at the staircase door first, but it was too late, the alarm sounded when the door was opened, next came the bang, masking every cry, or yell heard seconds before. The airplane tip was the last thing he saw before passing out. Unfortunately, he awoke to a disaster; the door prevented him from being killed on impact because he shut it just in time, but looked down to his leg, which no longer existed, upon forcing the door open on all fours the next thing he saw was fire, smoke, dust, debris, and blood, everywhere. His office was now almost nonexistent. His colleagues were nowhere to be found. Tears rolled down his eyes as he began begging God to save the people who were still alive, if there were any. Next thing he knew, another thud came from below him, followed by a ball of fire racing up the staircase. He lived his last moments feeling as if he was scorched by the sun itself. He knew it was the end, but continued to ask God that everyone else would end up okay. After that, everything around him turned white. Through his eyes white was seen, to ours, red and blue will forever be remembered. 

Short story about 9/11 in the eyes of a victim