RAFT Transcontinental Railroad | Teen Ink

RAFT Transcontinental Railroad

April 27, 2015
By NoNamer0102 BRONZE, Providence Forge, Virginia
NoNamer0102 BRONZE, Providence Forge, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.”
― Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition


  R: Chinese Immigrant
A: Boss
F: Letter
T: Other approved; a thank you letter
October  10th, 1876


Dear,  James Strobridge 

How are you doing? I’m doing just fine. I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunities when we built the Transcontinental Railroad. I was one of your Chinese laborers. I was so excited to work for you when we were first starting to build it. I was one of the lone survivors when we exploded the side of the mountain. The dust and rubble was in my hair and in my clothes. I loved it when we were done with the big tunnel and we finally after five years, could see the other side of it. I was proud of myself when we were all done with the Transcontinental Railroad.

Nowadays I'm doing just fine I have a wife and two kids. A boy and a girl. Ever since the Transcontinental Railroad was done and over with I settled by the stopping point of the Transcontinental Railroad. It’s quiet peaceful up where we live. I kind of like it here with the trains roaring in and out of the station. Well I have to get a move on but I just wanted to say thank you before it was too late. Please respond back if you can.

Sincerely,
Chang Won