RAFT Transcontinental Railroad | Teen Ink

RAFT Transcontinental Railroad

By NoNamer0102 BRONZE, Providence Forge, Virginia
NoNamer0102 BRONZE, Providence Forge, Virginia

“Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.”
― Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition

R: Chinese Immigrant
A: Boss
F: Letter
T: Other approved; a thank you letter
October  10th, 1876

Dear,  James Strobridge 

How are you doing? I’m doing just fine. I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunities when we built the Transcontinental Railroad. I was one of your Chinese laborers. I was so excited to work for you when we were first starting to build it. I was one of the lone survivors when we exploded the side of the mountain. The dust and rubble was in my hair and in my clothes. I loved it when we were done with the big tunnel and we finally after five years, could see the other side of it. I was proud of myself when we were all done with the Transcontinental Railroad.

Nowadays I'm doing just fine I have a wife and two kids. A boy and a girl. Ever since the Transcontinental Railroad was done and over with I settled by the stopping point of the Transcontinental Railroad. It’s quiet peaceful up where we live. I kind of like it here with the trains roaring in and out of the station. Well I have to get a move on but I just wanted to say thank you before it was too late. Please respond back if you can.

Sincerely,
Chang Won