Woodland Indian | Teen Ink

Woodland Indian

June 25, 2014
By Grace_V SILVER, Durham, North Carolina
Grace_V SILVER, Durham, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life will always throw you curves, just keep fouling them off ... the right pitch will come, but when it does, be prepared to run the bases.


Waking up with a scent of smoke, and a sense of burning on my arm. I noticed my family rushing back and forth from the long wooden house to the fast flowing river. They were throwing baskets full of water at the house that was bursting in flames. I was laying outside of the house watching all this then I glanced to down at my arm that was in excruciating pain, it was all black. It was burned. Apparently I did not wake up when the fire started catching and I started burning and had to be carried out before I died in there.

This was really bad because my 15 year old brother was about to get married in two weeks. This would set this wedding back at least a month because of the rebuilding of the long wooden house. For now we must stay outside in tents. I am crippled so I will miss out on gathering food and the men hunting for meat. The only thing I can do without my arm is sleep, which I am very okay with.

As I sleep all day I get very bored because everyone else is trying to survive while I am trying to recover from something that is not all too common. All of a sudden I hear a scream from my kin folk and a stand up slowly and hobble to a bush to see my group running away from a pack of wolves. They had woken up the wolves and now they are running for their lives dodging roots and branches some running to the sides to jump off of the path the wolves take. Luckily another group of Indians came to our rescue and there was minimal damage to both groups.

As the men buried the dead, the women grabbed the wolves that the men killed and brought the wolves to the open fire. The women started cooking the three wolves and the men started hunting for more food to have a feast to show the gratitude for them saving us. Everyone is so busy and I am here laying on some animal skin with a burnt arm being taken care of by my mom.
The sun is resting on top of the trees and the feast is now ready. We sit at a long tables and we each get a big piece of meat, and some sides. I am normally right handed but since I got burned I will have to attempt being left handed for the night (hopefully).
Everyone sits down around the the new long table, the other one got burned, with all the food to show the gratitude to the other group that saved ours. We ate the rest of the night and danced past the dead of the night and into the morning. It was a great way to end a horrible day.