Shaw-Graydon Files | Teen Ink

Shaw-Graydon Files

May 24, 2014
By Hawksfan95 BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
Hawksfan95 BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

July 7th, 1863

Dear Colonel Robert Shaw,
Three weeks ago, I was beaten when I stopped my picking cotton. That night, I was fed up, and ran off, alone. For 12 days I walked, until I came here. I believe that no man, woman, or child should endure what I have just gone through. That is the very reason I am writing to you now. I wish to enlist in the regiment under your command.

I have heard along my travels that the 54th Massachusetts is a very good place to be as a former slave, and I too believe it. If at all possible, I wish to join up and see the elephant. Them Johnny Rebs will be dead at my hands before THEY could even dream of seeing the elephant. Thank you for your time, and I hope to see or hear from you soon.


-Adam Graydon


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




United States of America War Office:
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry
July 11th, 1863

Mr. Graydon:
With all due respect, I sadly must deny your request to enlist, for our camps have a limit of 950 men, and we already have 961.
There are many things a former slave like you can do, without enlisting. For example, you can help other former slaves to find new lives as free men, or deliver speeches for justice and equality. You can also possibly join the other area regiment, the 55th Massachusetts, which is also for colored men. I wish you good luck on all your future travels, adventures, and fights.
Yours Truly,

Colonel Robert Shaw


````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

July 14th, 1863

Dear Colonel Shaw,
I must inform you that I am staying in Boston, and the 55th Massachusetts is stationed at the Springfield Armory. That distance, so I’m told is nearly 100 miles, or an entire days journey. Your camps, however, are located only 13 miles, or 2 hours away. I plead with you, the farther South I go, the more likely my old master will find me with his search dogs and missing posters. Thank you again for your time, and I truly hope that you will change your mind, for the sake of me, and all those under your command.

-Adam Graydon


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Journal
July 15, 1863

Today I met with Colonel Shaw, at my new house in Boston. We talked for a long time about rights for all people, and why I wanted to enlist in the army. After this, we discussed the draft requirements, and how to escape the limits on the amounts of soldiers he can command. When we had our ideas all on paper, and a plan all made up, he asked me questions, interviewed me, and had me sign papers all for the draft. I hope this is good news for my future enlistment. Sadly, I can only hope and pray, for this matter is now out of my hands, and possibly out of even Colonel Shaw’s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



United States of America War Office:
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry
July 16th, 1863

Mr. Graydon:

I am overjoyed to learn about your enthusiasm for our regiment. I am even more happy to announce the news I received yesterday: that we are marching to battle at Fort Wagner, for the second time in the war. Because of this, we are in need of 600 more men, including you. I have already filed out your draft papers, thanks to our meeting yesterday. I must inform you that the questions I asked yesterday were very helpful in aiding my request that you are able to fight before you are trained. Although, I must warn you, be very respectful to your superiors Private Graydon, for they do not want this happening again. While on the subject of training, yours will commences as soon as we settle down after battle. This should be in about late July to early August, but pay attention for more details. A full report and instruction set will be sent to your tent upon your arrival.


Yours Truly,



Colonel Robert Shaw


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`~`~~
54th Massachusetts Infantry Private:
Please follow this itinerary for your first day in camp, as well as most days that you are stationed in camps. Special itineraries will be provided if needed later. Don’t be late, and use the map provided to navigate.
5:00- Wake up call
5:30- Free time
7:30- Sign in at the Officer’s Quarters
8:00- Report to Quartermaster for assignments and equipment including tent, uniform, and rifle.
9:30- Breakfast is served, eat around campfires
11:00- Drilling at fairgrounds
2:00- Dinner is served, eat around campfires
4:30- Meet with companies, location was given to you at dinner
6:00-Night watches and guards assigned, as well as chores
6:30-Free time
7:30-Supper is served, eat around campfires
9:00- Free time
11:00- Silence begins
11:30- Lights out


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
July 18, 1863

Dear mother,

I am writing to you as I am preparing to go into battle, today is the day. My rifle is gleaming, and my uniform is starched, but most of all, is my head buzzing. I am feeling a mix of emotions, excitement to see the elephant, but also a twinge of fear, for my own life. I will do my best to come home in one piece, and safe. But, that is all up to the rebels down in your neck of the woods. I recommend you and little Noah will travel up here and move in with me. I hope to see you soon, after the joys of battle have passed.

Your loving son,

Adam


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Journal
July 19, 1863
My life is ruined. The horrid memories will not stop running through my head. I will to rip it to shreds if that is what it takes to make them stop. I can recall still that Levi, the corporal next to me, was shot in the neck, and Henry, the private to my left, in the leg. Levi is dead, and Henry hobbles around camp with only one leg now. The dirt was caked in blood, and littered with corpses. Some of the trees had bloodstains on them, and even fewer had bark, torn off by the storm of bullets. I will live physically, but definitely not mentally.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 3rd, 1863

Dear Colonel Shaw,

I now realize how lucky I am to have survived my first battle. The horrid things I saw around me was utterly terrifying. Even more grateful is I on the terms of agreement. Because of your kindness I am able to earn money and survive in this world so tough on colored Americans. Right now, I too am off duty, not in the camps. I have a house in Boston, and I live happily until needed within the ranks of corporal. I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me, and I hope that we can remain in contact and as friends throughout this long, bloody war, and into the distant future. Once again, thank you.


Sincerely,


Corporal Adam Graydon


54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry


Union Army of The Potomac


The author's comments:
This is a historical piece, with real people, except, they never met in real life, or even talked.