Jackie | Teen Ink

Jackie

April 9, 2014
By AshleeB BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
AshleeB BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up, I never imagined how my life would turn out. In some ways I’m deeply blessed, and in some I suffer from an insurmountable curse. But I try not to reflect on the negative; if I do it swallows me. I’ve been known to spend days staring out the window. Not really looking for anything, not even seeing anything, just frozen in time. But it wasn’t always like this, I had an exceptionally privileged childhood. I was born in Southampton, New York, in 1929. My father was a stockbroker, my mother a homebody. They were young and very much in love. I never wanted for anything, nor did my sister who was born five years later. Even when my parents divorced after a little over a decade of marriage it hardly impacted us children. My mother eventually remarried, giving me two more siblings, but my father never found somebody who could replace my mother.

I was blessed enough to study at several universities with premiere status - even one in Paris! My first job was as a photographer. It was a bit ridiculous in hindsight, but as you can imagine, I wasn’t complaining. While serving at this job I met the man I thought to be the love of my life. No, not Jack, we hadn’t met quite yet. This was a strapping gentleman by the name of John Husted. He used to take me on moonlight walks by the river. One time we even rented a rowboat. Unfortunately, he didn’t know how to row so I had to do all the work. He sure was embarrassed, especially because he was so determined that I be nothing more than a possession who should answer his every beck and call.

Needless to say, I did much better than him, but of course you already know that! It was while I was still engaged to John that I met Jack. We hit it off immediately. He was so suave and charismatic. And his smile.. It could melt all the ice in Antartica! Or even the heart of a Democrat. Certainly that was why he was so successful.

He first approached me at a charity function John and I were attending and offered me a dance. John wasn’t pleased, but it would have been rude for him to refuse. I, however, was so taken aback that all I could do was blush. Jack took that as a yes and whisked me away. I gave an apologetic wave to John, who looked positively outraged. He could sulk more than anybody I’ve ever met, he was mad about that dance for weeks.

“Protective father?” Jack had asked, feigning innocence.

“No, actually,” I responded, building up my courage as we waltzed around the dance floor. “He is to be my husband in a few short months.”

“Oh! I had no idea!” Jack said with a chuckle. But of course he had known, as he admitted to me months later. He was always determined to get what he wanted, typical of a politician. And he often told me that he knew as soon as he entered the room that he wanted me. Conversation came as easily to him as dancing (which he was incredible at, mind you). One song turned into two, and then three as we glided smoothly around the ballroom. Finally John cut in, a little more aggressively than he should have. Jack simply laughed.

“I hope to see you around Ms. Bouvier,” he said, bowed to John, and disappeared into the crowd.

Despite my engagement, I couldn’t get this man off my mind. I would catch myself thinking about him while engaging in the most common tasks. Finally I could stand it no longer and looked him up in the phone book. I dialed and hung up three times before I mustered up the courage to let it ring. When I did, his assistant answered.

“Representative Kennedy’s office,” she answered drily. She clearly spent all day at the phone. I was shocked to hear that he was a Congressman, he hadn’t mentioned it at the ball. I had felt like he looked familiar but everybody looks the same in Washington. “Hello?” the assistant prodded, clearly in no mood to take a call from somebody who wouldn’t respond.

“Uh.. Sorry, I became distracted,” I said stupidly.

“Clearly,” I heard her mutter to herself. Taking a deep breath, she asked “How can I help you?” audibly this time.

“I’d.. I’d like to speak to Jack- er.. the representative.” I said, kicking myself for my foolishness. She would probably tell him some crazy lady was on the line and he wouldn’t take my call.

“He’s in a meeting right now,” she said a little suspiciously, “but I can take a message.”

“Just.. Just tell him Jackie called. I’m sure he’ll know how to get ahold of me,” I said and immediately slammed the phone into the receiver. I figured that was the last I’d ever hear from him and tried to put him out of mind.

Just over an hour later as I was preparing lunch the telephone rang. “Hello?” I said, not taking my attention away from my sandwich. I expected a telemarketer to respond but instead I heard “Hi, is this Jackie?” come from a smooth, slightly raspy voice on the other end. It was Jack, sounding much less confident than he had a few weeks earlier. It must have surprised him that I’d actually reached out. I took a deep breath and responded in what I hoped was my most charming voice.

“Yes, I assume this is Jack. How are you?”

“Fine,” he said, still uncertain. “Uh, Gretchen, my assistant, she told me you called. I’m a little bit busy now but is there anything I can do for you?” Now it was my turn to be nervous. It was terribly inconsiderate for me to bug him at work, and his tone of voice insinuated that he wasn’t as interested in me as I had thought.

“Well, I was just thinking about the charity ball and i was wondering if you might like to grab lunch?” There’s nothing more petrifying than asking a man on a date. Especially a man who you’ve learned is a United States Congressman. Honestly, I didn’t even know if he was single. And it was rather difficult to ignore the fact that I was in a committed relationship myself. Beginning to panic, I said “But I totally get it if you can’t, I’m sure you’re a very busy m-”

“Jackie,” he cut me off. I could almost hear him smile. “Don’t you worry about how busy I am or am not, I’d love to get lunch.” He was always like that. He made time for me no matter how busy he was. We set a place and time, said our goodbyes, and hung up. For a while all I could do was sit there smiling until I realized I would have to deal with John.

Just over a year later Jack and I were married. He told me that he planned to ask me out all along, but I like to think that I’m the person who instigated our relationship. Although it didn’t end how I (or anybody in our country) wanted it, I’ve never regretted a moment with him. As first Lady, I had to do some brave things and did some incredible things after Jack passed, but to this day I still believe that phone call overshadows them all.