Proud To Be An American | Teen Ink

Proud To Be An American

By Blanca Caballero BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
Blanca Caballero BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas

What makes me an American? What makes me proud to be part of this country? Well a lot of things. I have pride in being American. I love being American. If I had the choice to change it I would not. So let us get into the reasons why I love being American.

I love being American, because I have the freedom of speech. I can say what I want when I want. It is not limited. We all have the right to say anything anywhere. If I were in Mexico I would have a limit to what I can say. Some people there could easily hurt you if you said something without having permission to speak. I have gotten in trouble before about speaking when I am not supposed to. Let us just say I am lucky I was with family.

The next thing I like being American is, having the right to believe in what I want. Having the right to go to my own religion. Again in Mexico they have the same right but most are catholic. The thing with it is they look down on you if you do not have the same religion. Some people are even killed for not believing in the same religion. I am so happy that this country allows you to believe what you want without having to watch your back for having a different belief.

Now for the best reason for being American is, women can be in military forces! Something that is not allowed in most countries. That is something I am going to be proud of. I will be the first in my whole family, the first one in all generations that is a girl to go into the military. One day when I will be in the military. Then when it is time to visit family I will have my head held high with my uniform. Something most of the family wants to see. I will represent the US.

So what is the last thing that makes me American? Simply being born here. It was a big blessing to have been born here. My brother and I are the only ones in the family who were born in the United States. My family’s dream is to come here. I love talking to them about the United States. I love telling them about school, our armed forces, and every question they have I answer. Sometimes some of my cousins get jealous and try to put the US down. I turn it around and stand up for it. It’s the country I was born and raised in. So when I visit another country the United states is engraved in my heart. I am truly proud to be an American, and I would never change that.

It doesn’t matter how much we’ve been through in this country. We get stronger and stronger every time. Everything that has brought us down just made us smarter. Everything that happened or will happens happens for a reason. That does not mean we will stay down. We will rise over and over again, because at the end of the day our flag is still there. It is still blowing in the wind. I hope it never comes down. When the time comes I will fight for this country. Once again I am proud to be an American. God Bless The USA.

I really like this piece of writing mainly because i am proud to be American.