Mischief in the Market | Teen Ink

Mischief in the Market

September 18, 2013
By KLCminionwriter12 BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
KLCminionwriter12 BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Sing and dance like nobody's watching
And live like it's heaven on earth :)


There was a clatter of pottery and the rushing of feet over the cobblestones of the village. The owner of the stand looked about in dismay as he noticed the big gap in his pottery display. The other townspeople were searching for the thief but he or she was nowhere to be found. They helped the man reorganize his stand and promised to keep an eye out for the thief. Little did they know, he was one of them.

Richard, a vegetable stand owner had heard the disturbance but was well on his way and wasn’t looking back. Once he got through the doorway of his 1-bedroom home, he took the pot out from under his jacket and added it to his secret stash in the cabinet. He would bring it to its final destination tonight, but for now, he had a family to draw his attention. Just then, Richard’s 5 year old daughter, Rose comes running down the hall and clings to his leg. He looks down and says “How art thou my sweet Rose?”
she smiles and replies “Thou is lovely on this fine evening.”
They both smile as Rebecka walks in, beckoning them to the supper table. They have a simple supper of bread and potatoes from Richard’s stand. Afterward, Rose is put to bed and Richard helps his wife clean up supper. As the last dish is put away, Richard whispers, “I have secret business tonight my dear.”
“More business woth the prince?” questions Rebecka.
“Yes, this should be the last one; I’m very sorry, but i must make haste” Richard says, getting his shoes on. He goes in the secret cabinet and brings out some of the finest pots from the market. All carefully chosen and then, stolen. That last part bothered Richard; he knew it was unjust to steal but since it was for the prince, he didn’t know if there was an exception. Plus, he really wanted to know why anyone, even the prince, would need a month’s worth of pottery! He hoped that maybe tonight, being the loyal servant that he was, that he would be able to see the project he had helped to create. Richard set off towards the castle, in high hopes over the fact that his secret task would be completed soon.

The prince was expecting him so when Richard got there, he was let right in by the servant. As he walked through the big oak doors, the Prince looked about anxiously before beckoning him the his study. richard was disappointed because this was the same old drill, leave the pottery there and go back home. But this time, the prince went under his desk and pulled open a trapdoor! Richard excited climbed in and was taken to a nice-sized, damp room, probably an empty cellar. Sure enough, this cellar didn’t have any fruits or vegetables to be seen, just tens of thousands of shards of pottery! Richard was astonished by this but when he walked a little further he was shown the real secret; in the corner, hidden by an old quilt, was a mosaic creation! Richard looked around,unsure of what it was exactly but delighted to see anything at all. The prince was over on the other side of the room, smashing the newly-brought pots and said, “O, I see thou hath found my beautiful fountain. Tisn’t quite finished but i do believe that if we work tonight withal thy new pottery, that anon we can show off our project to the market.”
Richard eagerly replied, “Aye, methinks I shall stay hither until late night if that is what thou desires” so they stay, working until fortnight on the mosaic fountain. The also make a plan on how to get the fountain to its final destination without being seen. The prince suggest that Richard cause a distraction while he places it. But Richard says “For me to assist thou in this feat, I must know where i shall distract the others from.”
The prince had forgotten that he hadn’t revealed his complete plan, he had only said that richard and his friends would benefit from it. He figured now was the time, so he replied “aye, well it shall be the place where thou spends thy time. In the market!” “This shall bring more customers to the area and thy goods shall sell more easily”
Richard was surprised and said, “Aye, Aye! that is a grand idea sir prince.” “I shall be in the market whenever thou needs” Having mostly finished the fountain, the two went back into the study and Richard went home, he need some sleep before the big day tomorrow.

The next day, Richard woke early to go set up his vegetable stand. He kissed Rebecka and Rose goodbye and left their house, he left his jacket behind, for there would be no thief today. When he reached the end of the walkway, there was a servant from the castle waiting for him with a note, he took it and dismissed the servant. It read:
Thou shall perform our task in one hour, be ready.
Prince Nicholas
Richard got to town and thought about how he would distract the whole market. He thought of how he had gotten their attention and realized that it was by stealing the pots, so he thought up a plan to steal something, but this time the townspeople would be rewarded. The clock struck the hour and Richard was ready. He had scoped out a stand with a lady whom he knew would make a big scene. He strolled over and grabbed a big watermelon from amongst her fruits and ran, ran through the whole market, getting everyone’s attention, . Then he ran throughout the streets and down away from the marketplace. The people chased him, just as he wanted. When he thought the were far enough away he went into a corner so they had him surrounded. He spoke, saying “You know the real uprising is back at the market”
the raging crowd ran back to the town square to find a marvelous sight ;for one, there was Price nicholas, and for two, behind him was a huge fountain! this was going to bring many customers to their market. Upon looking closer at the fountain, they noticed that it was made of broken pottery. \richard returned and they were about to turn on him when the prince spoke “He helped, the pottery he stole is now presented in this beautiful fountain” He then rode away, leaving the market people to stare in awe at their fountain, which they thought was just going to be more mischief.