Bluebirds, I'm ready to fly

“Amelia!!!”

She looks up. “Huh? Sorry, I must have drifted off.”

“I said, what is your topic for the biology report? I can’t come up with one yet and it’s the most important report of the year!” complained Lily.

“Um, I haven’t given it much thought.”

“Right. Of course, you haven’t because you don’t want to. Amelia, I do wish you’d stop dreaming about traveling away. You know your parents will never let you and, well, let’s face it - you are going to have to start looking for a husband soon.” Lily sighs. “I guess you’ll never get that will you.”
Amelia looks up at the gray sky. She had always dreamed of traveling and writing about the different cultures of the world and now that she was graduating in just two weeks from the University of Colorado, she wanted to make that dream come true. She planned, after graduation, to go home to Pennsylvania and tell mother and father about her plan.

“No, I don’t think I’ll ever settle down, Lily. It’s too much of a pain. I’d rather travel around Europe and write books and live my life the way it should be.”

“Well, you do that. See how well you come out. Here’s my dorm, bye!”

“Goodbye, see you tomorrow!” yelled Amelia after her.

******************************************************************************************************

The graduation ceremony on Saturday, May 24th, 1915 was a bright one. The auditorium was decked out with flowers and banners that said “Good luck Class of 1915!” and others that had the school motto, “Let your Light Shine!”. I guess that’s all fine, thought Amelia, but I dread going back to mother and father in Allentown. They won’t like what I want for my future. Her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Henderson, had sent her off to college, one: because she would not stop begging them to let her go, and, two, because they thought maybe it would take the “travel-fever” out of their only daughter’s head. That had not worked at all. In fact, much to the Henderson’s soon dismay, it had increased Amelia’s determination to be someone and see the world for herself.

“Quiet, please! Quiet!” shouted the school president over the loud microphone.

“Now, please welcome the 1915 graduating class of the University of Colorado, U.S.A!”
The applause started and, right on cue, the music started up. Two by two they would come off either side and join in the middle, walking straight down the blue carpet to the stage. Then, the person to the left would wait on the side while the person on the right received their diploma, and then the person on the left received their’s in turn. When it came her turn, Amelia walked down with Jane Alcott, since there were so many girls in their senior class. The graduation gowns were quite long, and as she made her way down the aisle, it was all all she could do to try not to trip. When Amelia got her diploma in international literature, she took her seat, right next to Lily.

“I’ve already packed and I’m taking the next train out of Colorado.”
Amelia whispered back. “Me,too.”
Lily looked away. Amelia guessed she had been looking for a way to top her. Lily had been doing that a lot lately.

***********

Three hours later, Amelia and her two trunks made their way to the station.
Amelia wondered what going home would be like. Would her parents except her future plans? Or would she be cut off from the family money in refusing to get a husband? Amelia shivered. It was best, for her last few minutes in Colorado, to think of the present. And in this present, she had a train to catch.

The air was sweet, but hot and humid. Good old home. As Amelia stepped off the train, she heard a familiar voice calling her.

“There you are ‘Meily!”

“James! I’m so glad see you!”
He gave her his world famous hug. The kind that lets you know you were safe and sound.

“Well, hop in the station wagon and you can tell me all about college!”
Carl James Willard Jr., better known as James, was the Henderson's’ personal driver. He had been with the family so long, to Amelia he was an Uncle.
“So, did ya get smart?”
“Yup. There they hold you down and stuff it all down your throat and in your ears. Especially the advanced geometry.”

“You’re parents are gonna like that.” James chuckled.
I sighed and looked out the window at the houses decorated with lilacs and forsythia. I breathed in the summer air that smelled like honeysuckle and berry pie. I lean forward and put my arms on James’ shoulders and squeeze them.

“It’s good to be home.” James laughs again, and the breeze catches my hair.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is brilliant. It really explains the freedom every human being craves. Well done. The imagery was very clear and characters relatable- Keep writing!