Kite runner | Teen Ink

Kite runner

May 24, 2013
By eddie97 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
eddie97 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Eduardo Solito
May 21, 2013
English 2



A father should not be a friend to his son. A father is supposed to teach his son to be responsible and become a man. Fathers just want the best for their kids and see them successful. The ideal father shows their kid hope, shows empathy for others, and gives you high expectation.

Father’s give you high expectations because you can always do better. They want their son’s to become men. In the book Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini; Amir, who is the main character, is the complete opposite of what his father wants him to be. Baba, Amir’s father, wants his son to become a man. “A boy who won’t stand up for himself becomes a man who can’t stand up to anything”(pg 22). All fathers want their kids to do better and become a man. Amir doesn’t follow anything his dad tells him in order to become a man. Baba wants Amir to be athletic and not write books. Amir entered in a Kite tournament so he could win and make his dad proud. Baba was very proud of his son after Amir won the kite tournament. A father knows what is best for his son because their dad taught them how what a man is supposed to do. A father wants their kids to be the best so they can be successful in their life.

Fathers are the ones who know what hard work does to you physically and emotionally. Showing empathy for others makes you think how much better your life is of others, and how lucky you are to have everything you have. Showing empathy for others makes you think more of others, and not being selfish. Some families are poor, but the father works harder than other fathers, who make more money than them. In Kite Runner, Amir’s family is rich in Afghanistan and they have servants who are less fortunate of them. Amir sees how bad they have it by the way they live. When Amir and Baba moved to the U.S they found out how it feels to be poor because they didn’t have any money. They now know how it felt to be less fortunate of others.

The best gift a father can give to a child is the gift of hope. Fathers can give you hope that you can succeed in life. Fathers want you to be the best you can be. Fathers always tell you that you can do anything you want with hard work and dedication. Giving hope to others makes them happier and more confident. Giving hope to anybody is a good thing because if you have cancer and you aren’t sure you are going to make it, you just have to have hope. Baba had cancer but didn’t hope to be cured, he hoped that one day Amir would stand up for himself but that never happened. Hope is what people need to become successful and their fathers would be proud of them.

The ideal father should give you hope, give you high expectations, and show you empathy for others. My father does exactly all those things so I have all the confidence in the world to try and be the best I can be. The power of the father helps you when are down, and shows you how to be better.